ckreef

Composite Decking

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a very small project that I think a piece of composite Decking (like Timbertech) would work. I have a few questions. 

Can you cut it with a normal skill saw/miter saw or do you need a special blade? 

Can you screw into it? 

If you screw something down onto it will it hold the screw like normal wood? 

Do you need pilot holes? 

Do you need special screws? 

Edited by ckreef

Charles....I have never worked with it............however I watched my Aunt's contractor install composite decking over her existing wood framework.  They did use a special two part threaded screw made especially for the composite deck.  If I remember correctly.....it kept the decking, screw hole flat & flush.........no slivers sticking up around the screw.  That is the extent of my knowledge.  Look forward to reading what others say.     

• Like 1

Unfortunately it will be next month before the contractor visits my home to install the new Azek composite decking. When the screws are installed plugs are installed over the countersunk hole to hide any evidence. The bit Ckreef may be one unit having the drill bit and countersink on it. I haven't seen it but you would probably find that demonstrated on a Youtube video. For a nice clean cut use a blade with many teeth or a finish blade. Either ceramic or SSteel would be used I assume for reasons of rust staining. The screw as Jon B has stated may be a selfboring/tapping screw and then the plug is installed over it.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

My deck is made out of Trex. I specifically made the contractor use the under decking system so that there were no holes on the deck planking. Added to the job, as they had to work on ladder underneath, but I think it was worth it to not have unsightly holes and screws showing. You can use shavings from cutting the planks as filler in the screw holes, but I dispensed with that need with the under deck system. As far as I remember (it's been over 10 years ago), but I don't recall the contractor using any special blades or drill bits. 

• Like 1

I used trex to make a small deck in front of my generator lean-to i added to the back of my shop about 4 years ago.

no special tools to cut it, i used a nail gun w/ stainless framing nails (yeah, not cosmetic) onto 2"x 6" joists.

I did screw framing for the lean-to onto it w/o any issues, no pilot holes.

16" on center, 4' x 6' square.

• Like 1