Tyrus

The Fire

Today I was at Tractor supply looking for some needed items and noticed this charcoal chimney on the shelf. What set this particular one apart from the standard chimney was it's trapped door to release the charcoal as opposed to pouring or turning the chimney to remove the hot coals. When using my offset I pour the lit coals into the fire box to establish a coal bed and simply add wood on top to hasten a nice fire. Everyone has their own way of starting the fire, using a mapp torch or some solid igniter firestarter to move the process along. Up to this point I haven't used the chimney method in the KK to start the fire because it's been clumsy and cumbersome and I lacked the space but seeing this trap door version I think I may take another look. Anything to cut some time off the preheat. Now it does take a little while to get a roaring chimney but I'm thinking once it's dropped into your basket that time will be considerably reduced. This method should only be considered by those who are comfortable holding a fire...although this trap door makes things simpler and safer.

DSCF2926.JPG

DSCF2928.JPG

DSCF2927.JPG

• Like 5

A wooden deck only adds to the excitement Mac however, taking the necessary precautions by having some water around, stationing the chimney as it comes to life on the bottom grate of your KK and putting on some nice kevlar gloves minimize all that worry. Besides all you have to do is squeeze the handle and it drops out from the bottom, all self contained. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

What would be perfect is if the chimney diameter just fits over the handles on the charcoal basket. 

In a perfect world Toney, I haven't looked but I fear that is asking a bit much. How about a compromise, sliding two flat bars underneath to have it sit upon the handles for balance and when done it would be an easy one hand extraction. Hey, just trying to fill in the blanks.

It's sacrilege, I know, but I think of my KK as an awesome chimney starter.  I light coals for other uses in the KK and then either lift out the hot coals individually (binchotan) or lift out the whole fire basket to dump hot hot hot briquettes and/or charcoal into the Argentinian barbecue.  Super efficient and no need to buy yet another fire making tool.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I light coals for other uses in the KK and then either lift out the hot coals individually (binchotan) or lift out the whole fire basket to dump hot hot hot briquettes and/or charcoal into the Argentinian barbecue.

I think we should start calling you "Fire Eater!" :smt042

• Like 1

Tekebo, the purpose of this tool is about convenience, one hand, easy to move, create the amount you want, starts with paper and easy to disburse.  If your using the KK for that purpose I believe you would find this tool productive. Change is hard, once cemented in it's hard to break out, did I mention it's cheap. (relatively)  For an Argentine grill it's a must.  Think I'll stick on my secluded path and if I come across these easy life products that make life simpler we'll just have to look for a more receptive audience. I was going to tell you about the new grate cleaner that works wonders but, that will have to remain under my hat. Simple as dat

8 minutes ago, Syzygies said:

Every chimney I've bought, I remove the inner shelf, just Iift up to release the coals.

I like it, and so the delivery is quick, to the point it's directed.  The point being is with a trap door the expectation is to move the cannister with that shelf secured to another destination and drop it or release it there. Simple. You know,....  I live in a cold climate, manage multiple stoves from October - April and have many smokers for pleasure, I thought this piece was a comfortable introduction, a unit many would use or recognize for an applied value. If you don't see it, no problem, we'll find something else to try. I appreciate your comment Syzygies and Tekebo's and also relish in the aftermath, I enjoy the banter, the fight or simply an exchange, yah,... that's all. I'll be back

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Think I'll stick on my secluded path and if I come across these easy life products that make life simpler we'll just have to look for a more receptive audience.

You sound like you were offended by my comments.  You shouldn't be.  I was simply revealing the secret that I have been using my KK as a fire starter.  I actually bought a chimney like yours about a year ago but I sent it back to Mr Amazon without using it because I decided I didn't want yet another piece of kit hanging around my (small) garden.  Anyways, my current fire play has made me think again about getting that weird leather outfit you liked so much when I last posted about it.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078N4XZBX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1P3LD41QEH1RS&psc=1

23 hours ago, tony b said:

I think we should start calling you "Fire Eater!" :smt042

Ha.  What surprises me is how much it takes to get and keep an Argentinian barbecue hot. Heating half a basket of coal/briquettes in the KK is a good start but not enough for a long cook.  I am getting used to a less efficient use of coals in return for having the opportunity to play, with fire.  

• Like 2

Not a chance, never offended and sorry you looked at it that way.   I was trying to point out that this little device was the tool for many applications . I was trying to distance myself and be funny about it, oh well, missed the mark on that.  For you Tekebo it would be the best, fill it and set it, fire it in your Santa Maria and simply pour it out without any handling issues. Makes a great fire bed. No worries on both ends

• Like 1