erictag1

Dome latch off-center on 23

After closing the dome of my 23, the hinged latch on the dome does not line up with the locking pin.  I need to force the hinged latch over the locking pin, and I would like to correct this problem.

Should I start unscrewing the bolts on the back of the dome to line up the dome and the base?   I have thought about tapping the hinged latch with a rubber mallet to get it to line up with the pin.

What do you suggest?  Thank you in advance!

Eric

Don't go messing with adjusting the dome just yet; you could create more issues than you have now. The bottom latch is adjustable. Loosen the two bolts and move the plate as needed. Re-tighten the bolts and check both the alignment and the tightness of the latch when closed to the 2nd position - it should be firm. This is critical for closing off the air supply after your cooks and snuffing out the charcoal. If this doesn't fix the alignment problem, contact Dennis directly for guidance. 

• Like 2

Looking at the post that follows to your handle you can definitely see a slope from right to left. If it were me I'd take that latch off and correct it slightly in a vise, it appears your only off by 1/16.  Definitely have Dennis see that, he may send you a new upper half. Did you move it or bump it? Regardless, easy fix

• Like 1

23 hours ago, erictag1 said:

I loosened the bolts on both the top and the bottom pieces, and found no adjustment movement on either.

The top latch is welded, so it's not supposed to be loosened. I'm surprised with that little bit of interference, that you couldn't move the bottom latch enough to clear it? Talk to Dennis. 

• Like 1

I agree with Tony’s comment. The bottom part of the latch should be able to move a little for adjustment after the nuts are loosened. I have done it on mine.

In a long ago thread, it was mentioned one could use a small piece of wood used as a punch with a SMALL hammer to gently tap the lower hinge into alignment after loosening the nuts (if it is stuck). Gently. 

If moving the lower latch doesn’t provide relief or for some reason doesn’t move, you may have to go to your original thought and check the dome to see if it is also slightly out of alignment. If so, adjusting the dome is just another maintenance skill. There are a couple of threads on how to do it. Do the paper test after to be sure it is properly seated on the gasket so no air leak occurs (there is also a thread on this).

This is what I have done on mine. YMMV.

I haven't tried to work on my hinge because it works so well and closes as it should.  If I ever did and approached this, I would look at it and assume because it is affixed with two nuts that it may detachable. I don't believe that is a weld on each side, it may be a solder and a sharp tool could snap that.  The bottom catch is a piece made to move up and down for tightening the lid dome to the gasket for a better seal, not side to side for a hinge adjustment, it is fixed as I look at it , unless there may be a bit that allows the hole diameter to move a fracation within that setting to move side to side. That would mean an oversized hole, other than that those two posts are fixed. That slope in the pic shows the hinge off center, you can see a twist on the right, if it was working perfectly before, it shouldn't have changed unless altered. This is my hinge.                   Show the pics to Dennis as stated and I would imagine he would describe how to replace or fix the top hinge.   You could drill out the holes on the catch assembly to slide left to right,  for the 1/16 but that's a hack.  

DSCF2941.JPG

DSCF2945.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Looking at that again this time in the daylight with a magnifyer and my glasses on and a sobering eye I do see a small tack weld. I believe that to restrict any side to side movement, assist in stress. Regardless don't try to remove it without Dennis's input. 

• Like 1