Ticket2ride04

First cooks on the new 32” Big Bad

WELL, you're off to a great start. Not being shy at all tackling brisket right out of the shoot. Can see that this is not your first rodeo!

One piece of advice, no need for that bowl of water in a KK. Meat stays very moist without having to have a pan of water like with other styles of grills. It's because the KK is so efficient once heat soaked, that it doesn't take much combustion air to maintain temperatures. Less air in means less moisture out. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, tony b said:

WELL, you're off to a great start. Not being shy at all tackling brisket right out of the shoot. Can see that this is not your first rodeo!

One piece of advice, no need for that bowl of water in a KK. Meat stays very moist without having to have a pan of water like with other styles of grills. It's because the KK is so efficient once heat soaked, that it doesn't take much combustion air to maintain temperatures. Less air in means less moisture out. 

Thanks. For smokes, what is your process to lighting the coal? So far I’ve started the fire and let it burn for 10-15 before covering it the aluminum foil method recommended here. Seems to work well but curious if there is a better, more efficient way?

Also, did pulled pork yesterday. It was the best I’ve ever cooked. Need to take a meat break now. 

18F8B09C-7F2C-4B0D-B969-CF08121C45C4.jpeg

CB20BC09-7FBE-4248-BB17-006173708BD3.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ticket2ride04 said:

For smokes, what is your process to lighting the coal?

Hit it with the MAPP torch until a few coals start to glow nicely, then hit it with the air blower to get it going strong. Then open the vents up wide and just let it go for a bit, until I see the temperature on the thermometer start to rise. Then add my grates (if doing an indirect, then foil on the lower one) and the cast iron smoker pot (not in that order - ha, ha!) Once temps are within a 100F of target, then I set my vents to where I want them and put on my meat when I start to see the smoker pot kick in. 

• Like 1