om21braz

New in NC

New to forum here. Previous Holland Grill (gas man) for 15-20 years and present Memphis Wood Fired griller/smoker. Considering going back to school after seeing these Komodos'.

Anyone here make the change from a Memphis or other pellet-type unit?

Thanks for any opinions up front and thanks for letting me join in!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, om21braz said:

New to forum here. Previous Holland Grill (gas man) for 15-20 years and present Memphis Wood Fired griller/smoker. Considering going back to school after seeing these Komodos'.

Anyone here make the change from a Memphis or other pellet-type unit?

Thanks for any opinions up front and thanks for letting me join in!

Welcome aboard! Have never used a pellet grill, but if you can light a fire and you can cook, you can cook on a KK. The learning curve is shallow.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard. I came from a Weber gas and a Weber Smokey Mountain. I had never cooked on any type of Pellet or Kamado grill. I just received my 32BB Thursday. Friday I was able to get my grill at a stable temperature pretty easy. There is plenty of knowledge in this forum. Don’t be afraid to ask for some help. I did and it help prepare me for my first cook. 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard. I came from a Weber gas and a Weber Smokey Mountain. I had never cooked on any type of Pellet or Kamado grill. I just received my 32BB Thursday. Friday I was able to get my grill at a stable temperature pretty easy. There is plenty of knowledge in this forum. Don’t be afraid to ask for some help. I did and it help prepare me for my first cook. 

You didn’t need much help to nail those first cooks on the KK bigshep.
Welcome Braz. If you can cook on a kettle, the KK will be easy, and much more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Long time charcoal guy here (never owned a gas grill in my life and never will!) Closest that I've come to a pellet grill is I have a couple of friends who have them and they do turn out some nice food and are generally easy to use. However, you're going to quickly find, as others have said, that you're about to up your game with the KK. Just takes a few cooks to get the hang of setting the vents for different temperatures, as it is very repeatable.

First rule of KK cooking - Don't chase the temperatures! For almost all cooks +/- 50F of cooking temperature from your "target" isn't going to make any noticeable difference in the final product. So, don't fret if you're off a bit and continually try and tweak the top vent to hit it exactly. As we homebrewers say, "Relax, have a homebrew." (which translates as - don't overthink this and make it complicated - it's not!

Second rule of KK cooking - Go buy a bigger belt size! LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks all! I'm going to lurk awhile, maybe ask a few more questions here and there. I am not displeased with the Memphis, but it would be nice not to depend on electricity and a computer to get good results. Not to mention being able to get a little higher temps for pizza.

• Like 1

Hello om21braz, I’ve been grilling my whole life with Webber charcoal and gas grills. About 2 years ago I purchased a Cookshack PG500 grill. The Memphis you have is the KK of pellet grills! I decided on purchasing 2 KK grills last year ( one for a vacation home and couldn’t be without one at home). To be honest I’ve not used my pellet grill since I got the KK. I’ve not really used it because I’m having too much fun with the KK’s. The big difference is that the KK is extremely tight so you don’t have the airflow / moisture Loss you have in all other grills. One of the coolest things is that not only is the KK versatile in being able to do anything from cold smoking to high temp pizzas but you also have a unique piece of art in your yard. I think you may experience the same thing with your pellet grill as I have, however it’s nice to still have this in your arsenal when your entertaining for large parties etc. I’m getting a bathroom remodel and guy doing the tile work is amazed at the quality and the look of the KK. If you can afford the Memphis I’m thinking that a KK is in your future!

Good Luck.

PVPAUL

• Like 3