Mayor

KK Coming to Pittsburgh

I finally splurged at my wife's request on a Big Bad 32" with the rotisserie, pizza stone, double drip pan, and cold smoker.  Been reading through the forums and learned about the quality and passion for the KK's.  This will be my first kamado grill, why waste money on the inferiors.  A few questions as I prepare for the arrival of the beast.  

1) Preferred fuel outside of cocochar and coffeechar, they have not yet arrived in the US.  

2) Is BBG Guru necessary given how efficient the KK's are?

3) Any other tips are appreciated. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mayor said:

I finally splurged at my wife's request on a Big Bad 32" with the rotisserie, pizza stone, double drip pan, and cold smoker.  Been reading through the forums and learned about the quality and passion for the KK's.  This will be my first kamado grill, why waste money on the inferiors.  A few questions as I prepare for the arrival of the beast.  

1) Preferred fuel outside of cocochar and coffeechar, they have not yet arrived in the US.  

2) Is BBG Guru necessary given how efficient the KK's are?

3) Any other tips are appreciated. 

Welcome aboard. Will answer your questions, but first explain that first statement: "at my wife's request." No comprendo. Most of us beg, manipulate, and end up in decades of servitude to get our first KK. What means: "at my wife's request?"

1) Any lump will do, but some brands are better than others. Some use Rockwood (I don't like it, but others do). Many use Fogo -- great stuff. Stay away from super-cheap lumps like "Cowboy". Royal Oak is passable.

2) No. I have one and use it only for overnight cooks just as insurance

3) Did you get a basket splitter? If not, add that to your order ASAP. One of the great strengths of the 32 is how perfect it is for 2 zone grilling. The splitter is a must have for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wanted a kamado for some time now, and refused to go with cheaper ones.  Told the wife I didn't want to spend the money on a good kamado so will wait and save.  Took a new job allowing her to quit her job.  I honestly think she got tired of me saying how much I wanted a KK but didn't want to spend the $$$ said buy it and stop talking. 

I did get the basket splitter, forget to mention that.  Plan on doing quite a few low n slows, so will get the BBQ Guru to make life easy.  Look forward to tastier food than what I got on my weber kettle.  

• Like 5

Congrats on the decision to invest Mayor.
If you can cook on a kettle you will smash your cooks with the KK.
I was keen to get a guru type product called Smartfire, however, haven’t felt the need to and enjoy playing with settings to fine tune different cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Obsession! You're going to be amazed by not only the look of and the build quality of this piece of art, but you're about to up your game on the food that comes off of it! 

To your questions:

1) Beside cocochar and coffee wood charcoal from Dennis, I typically use Fogo or Rockwood, as both are locally available. The Kamado Joe Block box charcoal is pretty good too and someone just posted they are having a sale. As noted - do NOT buy Cowboy under any circumstances - horrible, scrap wood that burns up quickly. It's a cheap charcoal in all respects! If you're not familiar with it, there's a good website/database of charcoal reviews called "The Naked Whiz."  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

2)  I've had a BBQ Guru going back to my older kamado. I like the security blanket aspect of it on the longer cooks (over 4 hours). Is it an essential - no, but a very good "nice to have." 

3) If you're thinking about other gadgets, consider a MEATER+ wireless thermometer for your rotisserie cooks. https://meater.com/

If not too late, you should add as many boxes of cocochar and coffee wood to your pallet as will fit. This will be the cheapest price you'll ever pay for it because the shipping is already a sunk cost.  

• Like 2

Getting excited, got confirmation it will be delivered April 9th.  Delivery should be easy, can back right up to my patio from the back alley of my house.  Can now finish off the the rest with the KK in place.  

Was able to get KJ Block box on sale from Costco online.  Has anyone use the Coco BBQ coconut charcoal?  Pricier than what Dennis offers bit only option till his arrives.  

15858504347778698696773986943146.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats Mayor. I’m a new owner as well and am loving the KK so far. I got all the same accessories as you but have not yet used my rotisserie or pizza stone yet. I’m not gonna do a bbq guru but that’s mainly cause I don’t sleep and don’t mind checking on my overnight cooks. 

you’re well on your way from the sound of things. 

• Like 1

Congrats Mayor. I’m a new owner as well and am loving the KK so far. I got all the same accessories as you but have not yet used my rotisserie or pizza stone yet. I’m not gonna do a bbq guru but that’s mainly cause I don’t sleep and don’t mind checking on my overnight cooks. 

you’re well on your way from the sound of things. 

Troble I love the rotisserie. Probably my most used accessory, however, I don’t cook a brisket as well as you do.

10 hours ago, BIGSHEP said:

CONGRATS on your new purchase. I am new to the KK family myself. As you can see you're in a great community. People have provided you with great advice and recommendations. I don't know if this was asked of you. So I will. What color did you get?

Ended up with the cobalt blue tile.  The research I gathered on this site was the tile cooks better than the pebble😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The Guru is not needed imo. Set the temp and forget. Do not open to check those low and slows. No need.

A tip for the Guru if you find one necessary: Get your KK to temp first and let the temp sit before turning on the fan, otherwise you will overshoot as it takes a while for the cement to get to temp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SSgt93 said:

A tip for the Guru if you find one necessary: Get your KK to temp first and let the temp sit before turning on the fan, otherwise you will overshoot as it takes a while for the cement to get to temp.

The only time that I've overshot the target with my Guru is on a very windy day. Too much vacuum drag through the fan damper. Learned my lesson and always keep the fan damper at least halfway closed. Also keep the top damper almost closed, barely off the seat. Let the fan and controller do the heavy lifting. 

• Like 2

The only time that I've overshot the target with my Guru is on a very windy day. Too much vacuum drag through the fan damper. Learned my lesson and always keep the fan damper at least halfway closed. Also keep the top damper almost closed, barely off the seat. Let the fan and controller do the heavy lifting. 

Try doing it with a 42.... lol. Massive amount of space for that Guru to push air.

Finally arrived, UPS had the wrong pallet jack and couldn't unload it.  Told me it would be next week before they could deliver again, and instead offered to uncrate it.  He said afterwards he shouldn't have done that, was too hard for him to get it out of the crate due to it being in a corner and couldn't get the lag bolts off. 

Now it is sitting on patio and to start unboxing to prep for first cook and burn in.  

20200409_131547.jpg

20200409_125043.jpg

15864590608734132210995887044088.jpg

• Like 6