LK BBQ

Air Flow Question

I have a 19" Li'l Isla and I love it.  It's been a joy to cook with.  There's one reason (other than size) why the 19" may be at a disadvantage to the 23" and bigger KK's - airflow.  If I put the drip tray or pizza stone into the grill, it gets much harder for me to bring them temperature up to blistering pizza temps.  I will be taking DL's advice to get a pizza steel.

My question is whether the temperature controlled blowers out there would help.  They are primarily designed around facilitating low and slow, but can they blow hard to increase the airflow for higher temps?  

Thanks for your advice on this!

Edited by LK BBQ

Use a MAP torch to light the fire. You can either light a small area for a low and slow, or move the flame around to make a bigger fire to get the lump to temp quickly. Also, before a low and slow I make sure my KK is cleaned out completely for maximum airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am considering attaching a metal bowl to the underside of the main grate.  I was thinking that perhaps that would provide the aerodynamic features that directs the air around the stone/tray and keeps the airflow streaming around the it.  Just a crazy theory.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonj said:

You could also try using larger lump pieces (and no small pieces) to improve overall airflow.

True, but the fire has no problem getting blazing hot without the stone or tray.  It is only with the stone/tray in place that it doesn't get as quite as hot.  The drip tray is only 13.5", so I think a pizza steel would need to be relatively small diameter.  The best option I have found so far is a pizzacraft baking steel with 14" diameter.  

• Like 1

My best guess is that you might be running low on charcoal trying to get that thick pizza stone up to that high a temperature, as the 19" charcoal basket is a bit smaller than a 23". You might be better off with the steel, per Dennis' recommendation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was thinking that the 19" grill has less room for the air to flow around the pizza stone or drip tray than it would around the 23" or larger KK.  I'm still learning my way through all of this, though - so I may be wrong about this.  Any other suggestions from 19" KK pizza chefs?  

I really doubt that you have an air flow problem. Hopefully, ckreef or others with 19" grills will chime in. I've never tried to get my Guru up that high, as I only use it for low & slow cooks. According to their website, the max temp is only 475F. 

• Like 1