ckreef

Reef's Camp Cooking 3-2-20 to 3-5-20

The Govener basically locked down the state which canceled our camping plans for this past weekend. Having already taken off work me and Mrs skreef wasn't going to let that ruin the fun. So we setup our own campsite. 

campsite1.thumb.jpg.ded7e01565d3d5d43c8c9792e595bcd5.jpg

campsite2.thumb.jpg.f1d97d26d5f91fe8450e312f0eb755a5.jpg

Sitting under the awning this is the view we get. 

campsite3.thumb.jpg.5891f25078b70ca884ef9706c612e2bd.jpg

Enjoyed the fire pit. Walked to a nearby private pond for a little fishing. 

ssb1.thumb.jpg.14efec7fbd0dbf0c3066253545ed0a74.jpg

npp1.thumb.jpg.c007adab780b9cc38bb5ce29d3ec17a2.jpg

17bass2lbA.thumb.jpg.b1e7a8102ad9f7aecf8a1325b08dd7a8.jpg

And of course some camp cooking on the CampChef. A couple different breakfasts. Bacon and pancakes. Sausage and French toast made with homemade bread from Mrs skreef. 

rcc2b1.thumb.jpg.99af64488460aa53bed4a420cae27601.jpg

Grilled cabbage marinated with a balsamic vinaigrette homemade from 18 year old balsamic vinegar. 

rccgc2.thumb.jpg.ace6ba9465634aee08a4b8e93e26efdc.jpg

Corn risotto and chicken thigh parts. 

rcccrct1.thumb.jpg.fa6c3cfead8686a770f2d6d83c86e2de.jpg

A beef stroganoff type dish along with a personal Pan cookie. 

rccbs1.thumb.jpg.a43669af40e4763980877d5c982ed5ed.jpg

rccfoc1.thumb.jpg.f697fb97b2631aff89ba84140ba812d5.jpg

And lastly a sweet Sunday breakfast. Peach Slump made from the last of my frozen peaches from last summer. 

Yup not a bad weekend for camping in the backyard. 

rccpsa1.thumb.jpg.7105a6066537f4adb952bde9a8ec2540.jpg

rccps2a.thumb.jpg.c39e778a64a6ee5d93426fc5ba7b2fde.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

The perfect plan and that peach slump is driving me crazy. :) :smt055

When I posted that I knew you were going to like it.

When it was cooking I didn't think it was going to come out right. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Definitely going to do that again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Basher said:

That’s great camp cooking.
Not sure half a barrel of rosemary fits into the mobile camping list.
Did you chomp your way through that? emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jonj said:

If they weren't going to travel with a half barrel of rosemary, they wouldn't need the travel trailer...

Planted that in the ground last spring. Didn't do anything to it this winter. By the middle of summer it should be about 4' tall x 4' wide and maybe 3' deep. Rosemary for life at this point.

Now if it could only be eaten as a vaccine for the beer virus I'd be set. B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

It is the hosta that got me, who travels with a hosta? :smt096

When you're only traveling from the front yard to the backyard the hosta was a bonus (actually it resided in the backyard all winter). Did you all notice the other plant? An Italian oregano if I remember correctly from a couple years ago. It too survived the winter. We have a few more plants to decorate the backyard campsite with. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more before we move them out of the house. 

• Like 3

On 4/7/2020 at 1:12 PM, ckreef said:

Grilled cabbage marinated with a balsamic vinaigrette homemade from 18 year old balsamic vinegar. 

rccgc2.thumb.jpg.ace6ba9465634aee08a4b8e93e26efdc.jpg

Awesome camping trip @ckreef.  Did you sneak back home for a shower and other stuff?  

I love grilled cabbage.  Care to share your recipe and process?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Awesome camping trip @ckreef.  Did you sneak back home for a shower and other stuff?  

I love grilled cabbage.  Care to share your recipe and process?

I have no way of dumping the black tank so we had to use the clubhouse bathroom for that type of business. Mrs skreef used the clubhouse shower while I showered in the camper. The camper has a nice shower and the water is extra hot. 

The cabbage is more of a technique than a recipe. 

Make a vinaigrette dressing type marinade. No two cabbage cooks are ever the same. I just wing it for the marinade. Just needs to be a vinegar base. 

Cut the sides off a cabbage to make the cabbage "Steak" 

Cut a slit in the stem and the far end and tie it around with some string to help hold it together. 

Cut vertical sits down to almost string level. One side is slit north-south and east-west. The other side is slit northeast-southwest and northwest-southeast. Hopefully that made a little sense. 

Brush some marinade on one side and let it soak in. Wait a little while then brush the other side. Wait a little while before cooking. Sometimes I do this procedure a few times before cooking. The vinegar helps soften up the cabbage. The longer you pre marinade it the better. 

I cook this on a griddle on low/medium heat. I turn and baste on some marinade every 10 minutes or so. I keep it covered with my griddle dome the entire time. I'll also squirt it down with water from time to time so the steam gets trapped under the griddle dome that way you get some steamed cabbage effect also. 

40-60 minutes later when it's falling apart you know it's done. 

I hate plain steamed/boiled cabbage but I love griddle cooked cabbage. People who tell me "I hate cabbage!", I respond, "that's because you haven't had my griddle cabbage yet!!!".  B)

Cabbage is like Brussel sprouts. Sucks unless cooked right. LOL 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

I keep it covered with my griddle dome the entire time. I'll also squirt it down with water from time to time so the steam gets trapped under the griddle dome that way you get some steamed cabbage effect also.

Up your culinary game, homey - it's called a cloche. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ckreef said:

Cabbage is like Brussel sprouts. Sucks unless cooked right. LOL

Yeah. The Husband calls Brussel sprouts "fart bombs" and refuses to eat them.  I once scared a man in the supermarket by saying "my husband's away", while lovingly packing Brussel sprouts into a bag for my dinner.  He thought I was making a pass at him and shot away, like a scalded cat.

Thanks for your cabbage technique.  Like you, no cabbage cook is quite the same and I wondered how you did yours.  I have some fab cane and pepper vinegar that a friend brought back from the West Indies.  Makes grilled cabbage very tasty indeed.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1