Karolina Komodo

Refilling Charcoal During Cook

Since running out of coco char, I have been using fogo or rockwood and have had to refill the basket 3/4 of the way through slow cooks.  I use a cast iron with holes on the bottom in the basket for my smoke which obviously takes up room and decreased the amount of charcoal used.  Any suggestions on either 1) how to get smoke without taking up this room or 2) any other brand of charcoal that will last longer until I can get more coco?

Thanks!

Eric

• Like 1

That's one option, for sure, but involves spending $$.

However, it sounds like your nestling the Dutch oven down in the charcoal basket, taking up precious real estate. You don't need to do that. Just set the cast iron pot on the top of your full charcoal basket. You should have enough clearance to be able to put your lower grate in to set up for an indirect cook. 

I use both of those charcoals and have no problem with a long (12+ hour) cook without having to reload. Once heat soaked, the KK is very efficient in maintaining temperatures without burning a lot of charcoal. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

The shipping for me from Amazon was $9.99 for 1 bag but it turned out to be that price for any no. of bags. I ordered 3 bags and the shipping was $9.99. I'm OK with that.:)

The big question is Amazon going to actually ship it. In the states some Amazon warehouses won't ship non essential items until further notice. 

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

We will see so far so good. I should know shortly. It is supposed to be here next Thurs. and it is not Amazon that is doing the shipping.

If it's not Amazon you're probably good to go. The problem is not with the various shipping avenues, the problem is with Amazon warehouses. Employees on strike for more virus pay, ppe etc... 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

Please let me know what you think of it after you've used it a few times (be brutally honest). 

As if - pfft! This is MacKenzie we're talking about - of course she'll going to tell you her honest opinion - Canadian politely, of course! :smt042

• Haha 2

It's Sunday and my Jealous Devil arrived about 2 hours into my rib cook. :(

The good news is that I'll still have lots of chances to try it out. 2 of the 3 bags were torn but there was only 1 piece of loose lump. So all in all that was pretty good. I'm guessing that this lump is made with pretty hard wood and there were not a lot of little pieces even though it was obvious the box was beaten around in transport. I just finished opening the bag and dumped it into the container, not a lot of small pieces, thank goodness.

1131663729_JealousDevilLump.thumb.jpg.1aa9744bbfba63211ccaac5e67e2ef38.jpg

• Like 3