Ticket2ride04

Question about aluminum foil for smoking

As a heat deflector/drip collector? A sheet of foil on a grate below the food is sufficient. If it’s a bigger hunk o meat with lots of drips, use a disposable aluminum pan or the tray that came with your KK.

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ticket2ride04 said:

So I’m cooking a brisket that will be roughly 12 lbs after trimming. Just wrap most of the bottom grate on my 32” and that will be sufficient?

If you’re doing a brisket I’d use more than foil. Use some sort of drip pan to hold the dripping grease so that it doesn’t drip off the edge and into the fire. Would make for some nasty smoke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

If you’re doing a brisket I’d use more than foil. Use some sort of drip pan to hold the dripping grease so that it doesn’t drip off the edge and into the fire. Would make for some nasty smoke.

Right, I’m using a pan as well. But for my other smokes, I’ve basically covered the coals with aluminum foil wrapped around the metal band that latches to the charcoal basket. I’m getting the sense I didn’t need to do that (although the meat turned out excellent). Basically it seems I can wrap a lower grade with foil and place a drip pan below and I’m set?

7 minutes ago, Ticket2ride04 said:

Right, I’m using a pan as well. But for my other smokes, I’ve basically covered the coals with aluminum foil wrapped around the metal band that latches to the charcoal basket. I’m getting the sense I didn’t need to do that (although the meat turned out excellent). Basically it seems I can wrap a lower grade with foil and place a drip pan below and I’m set?

Yes. And it isn’t necessary to wrap the whole grate. Just a sheet a bit larger than the meat is sufficient. If the drip pan you’re using is a bit larger, then you can just use that and skip the foil. Main thing is to 1) deflect the direct Infrared from the meat, and 2) avoid fat dripping into the coals. A large enough drip pan does both..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For heat deflection only, it is either one of the drip pans or a piece of foil.

For drippings & heat deflection I use one of the drip pans lined with foil.

I have found that 2 layers of foil when doing pork will allow you time for the pan to cool post-cook and get the foil out before the pork grease gets through the foil.

This is not needed when doing brisket.

if i get grease, etc on the pan, hit it with soap & water.

• Like 1