Saucier

Taco meat

Well, doesn't really have anything to do with the smoker, but here is my taco meat recipe... I have tried using fresh chopped ingredients before, but didn't end up with the texture I like, so after many trials here is how I make mine.

It takes about 2oz meat per taco, so when done and you are portioning it out for later consumption, it is a guideline. I package 8oz, so gives two people two tacos.. YMMV :)

I use the leanest beef I can find, don't like it greasy.   This also gives me a reason to make chicken scraps into stock, as this is the perfect use for it ;)

3 lbs Ground Beef

1 cup Dark Red Chile Powder

¼ cup onion powder

¼ cup Garlic Powder

⅛ cup Seasoned Salt

1 tablespoon Ground Black Pepper

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon Dried Oregano

¼ teaspoon Slap Yo Mamma

5 whole Bay Leaves

1 pinch Saffron

1 quart Chicken Broth

Brown the beef in a large dutch oven:

Add other ingredients and simmer until most broth is reduced and the beef is sticky. Remove bay leaves and serve!:

taco meat.JPG

• Like 6

I also have a down an dirty salsa recipe....  Now mind you, I have taken up to 3 hours on making a batch of salsa, roasting all the chiles, blanching the tomatoes and removing the skins, using a molcajete etc... Pretty nobody but me noticed the difference, so wasn't a wise use of my time... 

Now.....

4-5 large jalapeños 

1 bunch green onion

1 bunch cilantro

juice from a lime

.5T salt

I process all that in a food processor until combined to your liking on consistency

9 or so Roma tomatoes, halved, seeded and cored. Then chopped into maybe 8 pieces each.

Add them to the processor and pulse to desired consisency.. Put It in the fridge overnight if you have the time and let the flavors meld. You can drain off excess liquid if you choose. I dont drink them, but bet the juice would be good in a Bloody Mary...

You can add Serranos or whatever you like to get the heat you want...

And one thing about making it HOT, is people are more likely to treat it like a proper condiment, instead of a side dish :)  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 2