Adventureman82

Pellets and pellet mills

I have been using traeger pellets in my cold smoker with pretty good success recently. This led me to consider making my own pellets. Has anyone had any experience with any pellet making machines? I want to take the coffee wood splits and make them into pellets or combine them with oak and pecan to make a mix.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It must be that time of year.  We just trimmed our apple trees and bought a small wood chipper.  @Basher turned me on to potentially using home grown wood for smoking but I think he intended that the wood be kept for a while to dry out before chipping.  Our chipper is designed to work on green wood so I am planning to chip and then dry.  The sample chips we have made so far look just like normal wood chips that you would buy for smoking so I am hopeful that we will get a good outcome.  I plan to use them in my smoke pot for low and slow.  Like the others I use Lumberjack pellets in the Dennis smoker.  

• Like 2

Interesting to see how this turns out Tekobo.

I generally cut my wood into double finger size chunks when green and leave them in a cardboard box( left open), and stir it up each week for the first 6 weeks to release any damp.

9- 12 months later should be good to smoke.

Could maybe speed this up in a low oven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Basher said:

Could maybe speed this up in a low oven?

Thinking that I could lay out on a shelf in the greenhouse in the summer and see how dry the chips get.  No hurry, could wait a year if necessary.  It's just a fun side project.  

• Like 2

Thanks for reminding me that I had a free source of fruit wood that could be turned into smoking chips @Basher.  So far so good, here are the chips from our apple tree trimmings.  Will turn over periodically to help them dry out and, eventually, will see how they work in the smoke pot.  Keen to see how @Adventureman82 gets on with making pellets.  

6BACC01A-0D4C-443B-A0A8-40596707F69C.thumb.jpeg.61e0700f1ef9afdc95e4bdcc9e3ab7a0.jpeg

• Like 2

I can’t imagine they will be anything but a success Tekobo.
We are too warm for apple trees here, otherwise, I’d love to give this a go.
That’s a fine looking chip. Shouldn’t take too long to dry out if you are turning them or leaving them with little depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk