DennisLinkletter

Spinning some Chooks...

Have not spun anything for a while so I dropped in these two birdies.. Got the color I wanted by bringing it up to 400ºf for a bit but did not render out all the fat in the skin.. thinking I might need to poke little holes in the skin to let the oil out. Was hoping for some thin crunchy skin but it just was not..       But was crazy moist and tasty. Used coffee wood for smoke, it really comes thru with chicken. I need to learn how to cut up a chicken correctly to properly photograph the meat.. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-21 at 6.33.48 PM.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

I don't really get crispy skin from the rotisserie either. Too many juices swirling around the bird. Best skin for me is spatched on the upper grate close to the dome.

That's how I always cook them too.. but my buddy Scott wanted to see the roti in action..

There's something magic about meat spinning and over a fire that gets people worked up!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Alohapiggy said:

I’ve never used a rotisserie before. What is the difference between the rotisserie spit and rotisserie cradle?  Is the one better than the other?  I’m thinking about getting one for my 21.   

Hi, I've got the spit and I think it is probably more flexible for different sizes of joints and chicken than a cradle would be.  

• Like 2

I’ve never used a rotisserie before. What is the difference between the rotisserie spit and rotisserie cradle?  Is the one better than the other?  I’m thinking about getting one for my 21.   

Aloha piggy I have both and haven’t used the cradle/ basket yet. Only because it is much heavier and I’m not sure my motor will handle it loaded with food. The cradle will hold more multiple items. The spit will take two intake items- 2 chooks, etc.
The rotisserie is perfect for my meal cooks with first half hour direct over the flame, as soon as it starts dripping, I put a tray of veg under it on a lower rack to catch the drippings and cook indirect. Toggle heat, time, tray moisture and it can all come off together.
Very tasty as it self bastes. One of my favourite methods.
You could do the same with the cradle, however, it does take up more volume through the rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have several rotisserie options - KK cradle, rod w/forks (regular and OctoForks) and a flat adjustable basket. Use all 3 (regular forks mostly, not a big fan of the OctoForks). I prefer the cradle for whole chickens, as it gives a bit more flexibility over the forks. But, it does have the downside of being harder to clean (PBW to the rescue!) Individual chicken pieces go into the basket. The "standard" OneGrill motor will spin a the cradle without any problems. 

• Like 2