LK BBQ

Clean handling

Do you have good suggestions on how to transfer charcoal into the basket without inhaling a plume of black dust?  Right now I put it in from the bag, straight into the KK.  

Also, any ideas on how to clean the ash without inhaling a plume of white dust?  I’m afraid that I’m going to develop lung problems at the rate I’m going

• Like 1

My best advice is pick a windy day and stay upwind when dumping out charcoal and hold your breath. I have a big rubber tub that I store mine in, and it's always a big plume of black dust when dumping in a new bag, regardless of how "careful" you are doing it. I use a Neti pot for my allergies, and I usually use it right after dumping in a new bag of charcoal. Helps. 

As far as ashes go, I have a large aluminum scoop that I got at the local farm supply store that I just take out the charcoal basket, and scoop out the ashes. I put them on the drip tray and take it out to the wooded patch at the back of my yard and dump it. Usually not a big plume associated with that task. 

UPDATED:  Other posts reminded me, if I really want to clear out the ashes, I do have a shop vac, with the drywall filter - no dust clouds at all. As it "lives" in the garage, I have to haul it up the stairs into the house to the deck with the KK. So, I have to be a bit motivated to use it! LOL!

Edited by tony b
Add shop vac
  • Like 1

My routine for emptying the cooker when the bottom is full of ash.

I take the charcoal basket out, remove the heat deflector and the front draft door.

I lay a 33 gal trash bag under the open front draft door on the ground and slide it under the cooker part way. Think drop cloth.

Use a 4" cheap chip brush to sweep the ash out onto the 'drop cloth' trash bag.

Pick up the bag from either end forming a hammock for the ash and pour it into the trash. Fold the bag up for future use.

If you are concerned about breathing in the ash, a NIOSH rated mask will do the trick.

LK I place lump charcoal into the basket 1 piece at a time. Most of my lump averages around fist size. Yes I end up with a black hand, rubber glove fixes this, as does soap.
The dust at the bottom of the sack, I up end into the compost bin and don’t remove the bag until the air settles.
Cleaning out, I rattle the basket and remove. I have a small fire shovel with the handle cut off and a cheap paint brush that act as a dust pan and brush. Into the scrap bucket with the bulk and finish with a vacuum.
Haven’t breathed any dust yet..... just the smoke from cooks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My method for cleaning out is similar to @Basher's - shake basket down, take it and deflector out and I just use a small brush and pan to sweep up and I don't even bother with a vacuum cleaner now.  If you did use a shop vac it would avoid the inevitable dust at this stage.  

I too dump my "coals" in from the bag but they are cocoshell briquettes and they produce no dust at all.  No flavour at all either.  You could add flavour with a smoker or smoke pot or with hand placed charcoal on top of the briquettes to avoid the dust.  Good luck! 

• Like 2