LK BBQ

Wagyu Sirloin Cap

Here's my weekend cook.  Wagyu Sirloin Cap.  Look at the marbling on that.  I split the cap, giving 1/2 to my neighbor.  I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and garlic, and also added a light touch of rub that had some sugar and chili.  I let that sit in the fridge for a few hours, and then cooked it at ~250 with a lump of hickory to an internal temperature of 120.  I brought up the KK fire and seared it.  I probably could have used a bit more sear, but I was worried by the smoke and smell from the burning grease.  I thought perhaps I was burning the steak.  

It was absolutely delicious.  My wife and kids wolfed it down in no time.  I'm still learning my way through KK technique, but this is pretty straightforward!

60904349058__703F9716-7C7E-4041-AF13-5063629891B5.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

• Like 7

That’s a nice looking cut of beef LK and well cooked.

Lately ive been leaning toward ckreef, Macs and I think tony does as well with the forward sear technique.

From cold to seared up to the charring you like, then I rest it on the higher grill away from direct heat and let it come up to the desired internal temp.

Reverse searing over fire has the meat sweating by the time you sear it and this juice dropping into the flame is not great for flavour and flare ups. However, reverse sear is easy to time your cook and can provide good theatre when your steak is engulfed with flames before you singe your arms removing it.

Forward searing has you flip or remove the meat from direct flame before it start heavy dripping.

Worth experimenting with, maybe not everyone’s preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use both techniques - prefer to forward sear on the thinner cuts (<1") and reverse sear on the thick ones. It's too easy to overcook a thin steak using the reverse sear - you'll end up with that gray band just below the surface by the time you get a crust. The solution to the problem is to just sous vide the steak first and just put it on the grill to char the surface quickly. But, it seems like extra work to fire up the grill for a 2 minute sear, let alone the waste of charcoal. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback.  I like the forward sear too, but haven't figured out how to cool the KK fast enough after firing it up hot.  I'm not doing sous vide at this point.  I think of the KK as a sort of air-sous-vide with its temperature control.  I figure that the reason to have the KK  is to take advantage of the temperature control - not just to use it for a finishing sear.  :)

• Like 1

This is where the basket splitter comes in handy - to have 2 Zone cooking. Forward sear over the coals, then move your steak off to the other side to roast indirect until target temperature. If you don't have a basket splitter, take note of where the hot spots are in the charcoal basket and move the steak over to a lower area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LK BBQ said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I like the forward sear too, but haven't figured out how to cool the KK fast enough after firing it up hot.  I'm not doing sous vide at this point.  I think of the KK as a sort of air-sous-vide with its temperature control.  I figure that the reason to have the KK  is to take advantage of the temperature control - not just to use it for a finishing sear.  :)

That's why I do the reverse sear on the kk. Some other benefits as well. I like getting it medium rare all the way through and have difficulty doing that with the forward sear.