synfinatic

smoking in the 23" and failing

I recently received delivery of a new 23" Ultimate in Terracotta Blue.  So far I've had no problems cooking at 300F+ and I think I've solved cooking at ~225F which ended up being lighting a single area of coals (I'm using Royal Oak/USA) with a cube, letting it get going a bit, hit it with my Looflighter and wait a bit for that area to be ashed over a bit.  Then closing the lid with the top vent open 1/2 turn and the bottom set to the most restrictive hole.  I also need to make sure the hole for the temp probes is closed off (I just use a wine bottle cork- not sure if there is something better?).

That's fine for BBQ, but when I've had really bad luck trying to tune things for smoking at 180F.  If after a few hours of 225 I try closing the top vent to 1/4" open that seems to be killing the fire temps and temps will drop over the next few hours below 100F.

Was thinking of maybe opening the bottom vent a bit more to help encourage more air flow through the restricted top vent, but not sure what to do.  I've used a Weber Bullet smoker for about a decade before this, but it's a totally different beast from the KK and quickly learning that I need to re-think how to do temperature management!

Thanks!

• Like 1

There should be a plug that came with your KK for you temp. probe holes. I'm not clear if you have the lid closed shortly after you light your fire but normally I start my fire and shortly thereafter close the lid because that is what creates a draft from you bottom vent to the upper vent.  Hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the Obsession. 

A couple of observations. Once you heat soak a KK, it's really hard to lower the temperature, as it retains heat very efficiently. So, if you're trying to get down to cold smoking temps, you're going to have to approach it from below, not above. Temps that low are very tricky in the KK, as you barely have to open the top vent. Hard to keep a fire going with that little of airflow. This is where a temperature controller, like a BBQ Guru, would come in handy. 

Second, don't fret the lower vent setting too much, as the top vent dominates the airflow. Just don't starve your fire by not opening the bottom vent enough - that smallest hole on the right dial is really small. Don't worry about it being more open. 

Lastly, not sure why you're having a problem with the rubber probe plug. Only thought, seeing as how it's new, is there's a sliver of white plastic in the slit in the plug. Did you remove that? It's just there to show you where the slit is for inserting the wires. OR, is the plug just missing? If so, look in your "spare parts" kit that came with the KK. You should have several "spare" plugs in there. 

• Like 1

Welcome Syn.
Ditto above, close the lid after lighting and once alight and temp is registering on the dome, open the bottom vent to maybe mid sized hole plus 10mm pie.
Control temps then with the top. I’ve found about a 1/8 turn can hold low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  So sounds like:

1. I have one of the new model BBQ Guru's on order... gonna be another month or so before it shows up it sounds like.  Probably make this easier, but it seems like cheating :)
  2. Sounds like I was using the wrong hold for the probes?  I see two silicone plugs in the front just below the lid, but I was using the larger hole with a metal screw plug which is much lower- near the blower port.  The 6 extra silicone plugs I received won't fit that larger hole.  I'll try running the probes through those holes next time.  Anyone know what the larger screw port is for?
  3. Sounds like I need to use the top vent more to control air flow than the bottom and need to open up the bottom a lot more.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, synfinatic said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  So sounds like:

1. I have one of the new model BBQ Guru's on order... gonna be another month or so before it shows up it sounds like.  Probably make this easier, but it seems like cheating :)
  2. Sounds like I was using the wrong hold for the probes?  I see two silicone plugs in the front just below the lid, but I was using the larger hole with a metal screw plug which is much lower- near the blower port.  The 6 extra silicone plugs I received won't fit that larger hole.  I'll try running the probes through those holes next time.  Anyone know what the larger screw port is for?
  3. Sounds like I need to use the top vent more to control air flow than the bottom and need to open up the bottom a lot more.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

2 that's the port for the hot/cold smoke generator.. the polder probes are the ones above with the food-grade silicone plugs..
3  for really low temps.. I always toss a big chunk of wood on the coals that will make thick nasty smoke.. I use this a a visual indication of airflow leaving the damper top.. if you can see any smoke leaving.. you have charcoal burning. Just leave it. You won't get any read on your thermometers until the body is heat soaked which at these temps might take a while. As long as air is escaping up top, regardless how little, you will keep charcoal burning. Low temps use hardly any airflow.

BTW you never need to wait to grey over natural charcoal that does not have any added starter chemicals.. only the quick start junk for the beach.

• Like 3

I haven't received my KK yet, but I have experience with kamados.  I agree with everyone who've offered advice to this point.  :)  The top vent is absolutely more critical with regards to temperature.  I once read its a 70/30 split.  70 percent of temperature adjustment is achieved via the top vent.  I don't know how accurate that specific percentage is, but this statistic made me rethink how I adjusted temps in the future and I became much better at both adjusting temp, and keeping it steady.  as Dennis stated, never use starter chemicals in your kamado either.  It can soak into the cooker and affect taste forever... At least that's the case with cookers like the BGE, KJ, etc.  I imagine the same goes for the KK.

• Like 1