DennisLinkletter

My first Picanha

So finally cooked my first Picanha last night..  Kept it simple, salt and pepper, reverse seared/smoked with cherry and a bit of coffee wood.

picanha.jpg

Took it to 128º then pulled and let sit about 20 minutes, then threw it in on the lower at about 550º but the fat side started pouring oil and so I pulled it and threw in my big commercial grill grate to slow down the oil flow.. Brought it to about 135º thick end, 145º thin end, pulled and rested it.

picanha2.jpg

I could see obvious grain in the meat but every Youtubian video showed people slicing across the large end with the grain.. 
I then realized that after they cut the slab with the grain they then cut it again into little strips with the fat on the end. This was the across the grain cut.  It was good, flavor VERY reminiscent of Tri Tip (especially cold the next day) the fat was nice but there was zero marbling in the meat.
Not sure it lived up to the hype for me... There was a thick and thin end and the thinner end was of course more well cooked. I think I preferred it's texture at medium rare to medium than I did rare to medium rare. I think I'll take the next one to 140º thick end.

But it was Purdy!

picanha3.jpg

• Like 5

I posted this photo recently of my wagyu picanha.  I believe it is an Australian wagyu, so perhaps it may be accessible in Indonesia.  This one certainly had marbling.  It is actually my new favorite beef cut.  I agree the flavor is like the tri-tip, but it is slightly more tender and has less connective tissue.  This gives it a beautiful consistent texture.  It isn't as fatty as the ribeyes, but it has deep beef flavor.  

I had to ask the butcher to trim the fat cap to 1/4", however.  The butcher was clearly distressed having to cut it off.   He reminded me that people buy it because of the fat cap.  If only my wife and kids loved fatty meat the way I do! 

Your cook is far more beautiful than mine.  Clear signs of a pro vs. a novice.  :)

IMG_8545.thumb.jpg.521284ed45b407dde3c91a6d5954ac34.jpg

• Like 2