Wingman505

Positioning Double Bottom Drip Pan

I checked my order and I did purchase and receive the correct drip pan.  Mine does not fit and rests on the grate handles.  I'm in the middle of a brisket cook right now, but I will take some pictures and show everyone.  Perhaps this drip pan is a little off and Dennis can help.  Its equally possible I did something wrong and misplaced it.  I'll verify and post pics when possible.

• Like 1

Once it's cooled, check the handles on your lower grate to see if they are vertical and not slightly bent toward the center. I had that problem with my upper grate and trying to get the pizza stone on it. Per Dennis, I just gently bent the handles outward until the interference was cleared. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wingman505 said:

I tried installing it on a lower rack and it seems the handles of the racks are too narrow and do not allow the pan to sit on the grate.  Do you just rest it on the handles, or do you place it on top of the charcoal basket rails?

I'm guessing it's just a tad small.. or either the pan or grate's handles are leaning a bit too much. Those welds should be plenty large to not have an issue if you tapped the handles with a 2x4 or something with a little heft..

• Like 2

I have the same issue in my 2016 vintage KK23 and Double Bottom Drip (DBD) Pan. I thought until today (seeing Syzygies' fit) the interference was an issue with all the DBD pans. I also had the same issue Tony relates about the pizza stone and the upper grate, which I resolved as he mentions.

This thread prompted me to look into it further. I don't use the DBD pan too often, mostly because it doesn't fit where I want it on the middle grate. After some checking this afternoon, I believe the actual issue is the handle location on the DBD Pan, not the bend or lack thereof of the middle grate handles.

The actual balance point of the DBD pan is located in the forward 1/3 of the handles (as they are welded on the pan) noted with the blue tape on the photos below, instead of at the center of the handles. The handles could (should?) be welded to the DBD pan approximately about 1 1/2 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm) forward of their current location (at least on mine), at which point they would clear the middle grate handles and actually provide better balance for the DBD pan at the center of its handles. Which would be helpful if the DBD pan was full of water, drippings or stainless steel chain...

This would eliminate the need to bend the middle grate handles (and risk a broken thumb, as I can attest from experience as these do not bend easily, at least as it applies to the charcoal basket. But that is another story). Such a method would require a significant bend on mine to clear the DBD pan handles and also reduce the clearance between these handles and the KK body (which may be seen in Syzygies' photo). I assume the curve in my grate handles was done to provide better hand clearance when placing the grates into the KK (Thanks!).

Changing the location of the handles on future DBD pans to their natural balance point would seem to be a more elegant and simpler solution.

Some photos for context.

DBD pan on middle grate in an appropriate location for cooking on the main grate, which would be located above in the actual KK, showing handle interference:

KK1_IMG_2719.thumb.jpg.fd03a575b733d706090b72cb8d2f2935.jpg

Blue tape indicates the natural balance point of the DBD pan in the front 1/3 instead of the middle of its handles.

KK6_IMG_2724.thumb.jpg.8a50f23393ececfd7369c26b770649b6.jpg

Moving the pan forward on the middle grate still doesn't clear the grate handles and runs the DBD pan into the "T" handle of the hinged part of the middle grate:

KK2_IMG_2720.thumb.jpg.13c8d91c7e1a9c36549beff674d05535.jpg

Moving the DBD pan forward to completely clear the handle interference between the DBD pan and middle grate handles results in the DBD pan too far forward to fit into the KK.

KK4_IMG_2722.thumb.jpg.86ec1252ddaac289efb5498e96a22b51.jpg

Obviously, I have a lot of time on my hands given the U.S. and Kansas stay-at-home orders. My apologies for the length. As for my DBD pan, I will just continue to locate it on the charcoal basket handles rather than try to bend the middle grate handles. One broken thumb is enough.

Just a friendly suggestion for future KK improvements...

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jon,

I don't need to post pictures because Dennis was exactly right... the handles of my lower grate are angled inward enough to prevent the pan from sitting flush on the grate.  I foolishly tried to pull them apart with my amazing brute strength... That went absolutely nowhere, lol.  :D

I'm going to tap them into place as Dennis instructed, or use ratchet straps to pull them out gently and with control.  My drip pan handles rest on the grate handles just like yours, but my handles are centered as you suggest they should be.  The CG when carrying the pan is pot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on this thanks for the head's up...
****Changing the location of the handles on future DBD pans to their natural balance point would seem to be a more elegant and simpler solution.****

With 7 grills/sizes we do have a problem from time to time with handles from different models being used at times, this is very tough to spot for our QC gals too..

I believe the lower rack is a better place to put the drip pan.. down below will trap heat in the firebox and reduce performance..

• Like 4