MattyNJ1

Who has the oldest Komodo Kamado?

21 hours ago, om21braz said:

Excellent question - this should be good. Probably not for Dennis in that unlike many products, the Komodo probably has too long a life-cycle. 😁

As opposed to the infamous POSKs! 

Mine is only 8 years old. It was one of the first Gen II 23" KKs. There are others that still post on the Forum that have been hear longer than me. Doc (mguerra) and ThreeDJ16 both pre-date me by a few years. Robert (5698k) is about the same time as me. Maybe some of the real old timers are still out there, like @Sanny @primeats @Porkchop  @Majestik @Firemonkeyand @Fetzervalve. What about the "other" Tony - @tcoliver?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Syzygies said:

I bought my 23" well over a decade ago.

A trail blazer and a treasure hunter combined, an oppurtunist. The price tag would always scare me away, I succumbed.  No looking back.  Unfortunately Syzygies 10 years don't make an antique even though it has a little patina and rust. I have some old high school shirts if anyone is interested.  

• Like 1

Hi,

I logged on to the forum after years away, our 23" is nearly ten years old. Still looks great, a few bangs from moving house 3 times, I have replaced the lid spring and had a new basket but we are by the coast so no surprise there. I am finding the ceramic doesn't hold the heat like it use to. I can ramp it up to 550 degrees  but struggle to hold it much above 400 and the lid is now too hot to leave my hand on, compared with until recently it was only ever warm. I am not sure if the ceramic liner composition changes over time and it loses some of its insulating properties.

I am mainly low and slow or chargrilling so not losing any sleep :)

Regards

Guy

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think Dennis L. has the oldest KK

When I Photoshop, I try to Photoshop with a wink. I guess I've stared at too many cold war photos with a shadow going the wrong way. Laurie thinks my Photoshop was too subtle.

I very nearly bought one of the first Dennis KKs. I didn't understand the very interesting lineage, and misread them as copies. One can actually listen to Manfred Mann's Mighty Quinn. Dylan's original is wretched. Nevertheless, I think of the original as single malt scotch, the copy as Dewars.

Boy did I get this wrong, but I made this right later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gsmelb said:

Hi,

I logged on to the forum after years away, our 23" is nearly ten years old. Still looks great, a few bangs from moving house 3 times, I have replaced the lid spring and had a new basket but we are by the coast so no surprise there. I am finding the ceramic doesn't hold the heat like it use to. I can ramp it up to 550 degrees  but struggle to hold it much above 400 and the lid is now too hot to leave my hand on, compared with until recently it was only ever warm. I am not sure if the ceramic liner composition changes over time and it loses some of its insulating properties.

Regards

Guy

Sounds like a Dennis question! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, qundoy said:

Bought my 23 OTB 10 years ago. Still cooking with all the original equipment. 

Unit 610, Levi Blue, cranking out great food for friends and family.

Kook on fellow KK'ers

Steve

any pics? was hoping to see some detailed pics to see how the grout tile etc held up. Glad to hear everyone is happy and still cooking on these units. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:55 AM, gsmelb said:

Hi,

Regards

Guy

tha doesn't sound good...

On 5/6/2020 at 4:59 PM, tony b said:

As opposed to the infamous POSKs! 

Mine is only 8 years old. It was one of the first Gen II 23" KKs. There are others that still post on the Forum that have been hear longer than me. Doc (mguerra) and ThreeDJ16 both pre-date me by a few years. Robert (5698k) is about the same time as me. Maybe some of the real old timers are still out there, like @Sanny @primeats @Porkchop  @Majestik @Firemonkeyand @Fetzervalve. What about the "other" Tony - @tcoliver?

I have two, one of the very first ones coming out and then one of the newer versions.  Both get used regularly and are in terrific condition.  First one is over 10 years old.  Best investment I ever made, can't even count how many awesome meals I have made and compliments I have gotten and I'm really not that good of a cook!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, tony b said:

:hello2: Hi, Tony. Good to see you!

Yeah, its been a while, let the new people carry the torch but I'm still a big fan of the KK.  Talk to Dennis every once in a while, always great to talk to him, still has the same excitement and drive that he always has had.  Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying Kooking.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 5:55 PM, gsmelb said:

Hi,

Regards

Guy

Heylo Guy..

First of all there is no ceramic in a KK grill.  The hot-face is a high alumina cement, extremely durable.  The insulation is vermiculite,  a natural flaky mineral (similar to mica) that expands like popcorn when heated. Vermiculite is used in insulation, fire retardants, and in our case cement aggregate. Both of these are designed to be used in blast furnaces at very high temps. Outside of the porous insulation is an acrylic, UV resistant industrial insulation. It's the flexible, waterproof jacket that the tiles are attached to. The ceramic tiles are standard glazed tiles..

The hot-face and insulation does not effect getting to high temps or your ability to stabilize them.. That's simply airflow..  When I hear people say that they can't get hot,  I know that they are pouring charcoal from the bag into the grill and all the crap smalls are blocking your airflow which in turn is limiting how much charcoal can burn.

If your grill has moisture inside/under the acrylic jacket, the water vapor will/could carry the heat more efficiently to the tile jacket.  If not, you have just forgotten, that if you wait long enough the outside heats up if you are at high temps.. you won't blister your hands touching it but you won't touch it long because it's HOT..

I can assure you nothing breaks down and changes the performance of your KK..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dennis,

You are almost 100% correct. There is one thing that changes the performance of the KK....careless moving dudes! I have been trying to figure out why I have not been able to retain heat and it is now blantantly obvious. I knew the guys had probably banged the KK when we last moved as there was a crack in a couple of tile joints that were not there before the move, however I think she took a bigger thump than I had first realised and the ceramic tiles (that remain as a solid skin) have seperated from the inner shell, and I can now see a 1/4" gap between the tiles and the inner shell. This is definately not a manufacturing issue, it is pure carelesness by the movers.

I am doing a brisket as I type and I am fully closed but cannot keep the temp below 140 celsius, and smoke is constant from between the base and lid. I think I have two remedies 1) increase the rubber gasket, probably easier but I worry the tiles may eventually fall off, or 2) injecting pressure grout into the gap to fill the void and rebond the tiles to the inner shell or 3) a new dome although colour matching is going to be tough.

So please everyone, don't use my circumstances as any basis for assessing the longevity of the KK.

Dennis - any thoughts on a potential remedy?

Best to all

Guy