glx

Smoke Generator

Hi all. In the next few days I will order a rotisserie spit from Dennis because while I find the rottisserie basket excellent to use, cleaning it requires some work.

I am thinking if I also throw in the basket one of the smoke generators.

Currently I go back and forth between just chucking chunks on top of the coals and using the drilled Dutch oven set on the coals.

I have seen that quite a few of you guys have the smoke generator. What is the consensus? How often do you smoke and of the times you smoke, how often do you use the smoke generator. What do you find yourself using it more often for (if you don't use it every time you smoke).

Appreciate any help in making a decision on this.

• Like 1

I think the smoker accessory is great.  You need the right pellets to keep it alight but once you get that right you can set and forget it.  I still use the smoke pot, usually for low and slow cooks because I don't think the pull through is as good on those cooks but others may have a different experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glx my wife is not a fan of the strong smoke flavour so I haven’t used it in cooks, however, I have used it numerous times for cold smoking herbs, cheese, spices, fish and my dad really enjoys my cold smoked tea.
You have reminded me that I need to smoke some more- when I can get my KK off my deck and outside in the new ODK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the smoker about 1/2 the time for BBQ, usually when the meat load is such I don't want to fool around moving it to add wood during the cook.

I have two different sized dutch ovens ready to turn into small and medium smoke pots, but, well, they are down in priority on the work list...

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, glx said:

Hi all. In the next few days I will order a rotisserie spit from Dennis because while I find the rottisserie basket excellent to use, cleaning it requires some work.

You need to get some Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW). Check you local homebrewing supply shop or go online. Mix up some in warm water and soak the basket in it overnight. All the gunk will just rinse off or with just a wipe with a damp sponge - easy, peasy!  I was going to post the pic of the job it does on the basket, but I can't seem to upload them - multiple tries. Just trust me (others on the Forum will corroborate) it works! But, the stuff isn't cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jonj said:

+1 on PBW.

I have a good electric power washer, that I bought for maintaining an IPE deck. It revolutionizes BBQ grate cleanup. There's a bit of setup and teardown, but I'm outside puttering, I don't even notice. What I don't like is getting my hands greasy while scrubbing haphazardly at nooks and crannies, to poor effect. The power washer gets it done, better than I ever could by hand.

We gave away our rotisserie long ago because it wasn't worth the cleanup. I'd consider one now.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

Smoke Generator.. my latest tweak is I microwave the chips or chunks until they steam nd then until most of the steam is gone..
Taking the moisture content down seems to be the ticket to smoldering.. I then turn down the air-pump to as low as I can go and still keep it lit.   No need to have it blasting as the heat generated from more airflow can create bio-gas fog which is what we are trying to void.

• Like 3

Hi, Eggary! Been a while. 

Yeah, Dennis developed this smoker tube device that plugs into the Guru port. You can use it for cold smoking (works great) and if you don't want to use Syzergies Dutch Oven smoker pot, you can use it to generate smoke during a normal cook. Here, I'm using it to hot smoke some pastrami. Not a great picture, but you get the idea. What you don't see is the aquarium pump that attaches to the metal tube to blow the smoke into the KK. 

1717822704_Pastrami003.thumb.jpg.ce416e7d3067acc4a67db91d9b8b90b6.jpg

• Like 2