Christinelynn

Actual award for being the coolest wife?

So you may be familiar with my husband @Wingman505 you may also know we just bought a 32” big bad! You may have also read that he planned to bug me until I agreed to a 23” too... well, it happened much faster than we all would have anticipated 😱 Just got off the phone with Dennis and everything (super nice and great to talk to him, by the way!)...

So on to my question - what is an actual award for being the coolest, most understanding, most unpretentious, super smart, and wicked funny wife? A gold star and copious amounts of appreciation ain’t gonna cut this one folks!

Suggestions for cool crap for me... and go! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hey there @Christinelynn, it is always great to talk to Dennis.  When you get to that stage, you know good stuff is about to happen.  I am the wrong wife to advise on this dilemma though.  I talked about KKs for so long that my husband finally gave up his Argentinian bbq and bought me two KKs.  I bought him a new Argentinian bbq in return last year.  Although Sinbad the cat knows it was really so I could learn to play with fire.  :jester:

That said, @Wingman505's transition to two KKs was super fast and you definitely deserve a reward!  You have already won the Best First Post Ever award.  A very warm welcome to our world.  

• Like 6

"Men cook with fire" gender stereotypes aside, women are a key presence here on this forum. The partner debate can go either way. I had to work on Laurie to get our first off-brand "Richard" K, which fell apart. Dekes can work. I had Laurie believing that I wanted to build a wood-fired pizza oven in the middle of our lawn. After a few years of kamado outdoor cooking, it was Laurie's idea to upgrade to a KK.

We were both thrilled to speak with Dennis. I projected bonding with a kindred spirit who exemplifies OCD as a life force, a positive expression of the species. What else could explain the beauty of a KK?

What did Laurie project? Um, err, um, let's just say Dennis has a gift best left unexplored. I was so happy to get the KK, I just watched Laurie's reaction with amusement.

• Like 5

More on the "Men cook with fire" gender stereotype: I used to have a beach house share on Kismet, Fire Island. Each town is known for its excesses, and one can question my motives for needing to reveal the town. Cherry Grove had the best partying, and all were welcome as long as they weren't too insecure in clutching an opposite-sex partner's hand. Passion consumes everything on Fire Island. The best club alas burned down. This story is about fire.

One Fall night I found myself alone in the house with a prominent motivational speaker; she traveled too much to make it out to the house much, but was finally free. A strong personality would be understating the situation. It was cold, we needed a fire. I assumed a bit too much control, setting the fire. It wasn't that I didn't believe women could light a fire as well as me. I didn't believe anyone could light a fire as well as me.

Rather than protesting directly, she proceeded to describe the importance of fire in pottery. How in Japanese lore, a potter struggled for years to replicate a glaze desired by the emperor. He finally gave up, and threw himself into the fire. Oxygen restriction is now recognized as an important technique in developing glazes. As the story goes, the pots he died for came out exactly as he sought.

Huh. I guess women do understand something about fire.

I relayed this story to a Chinese scholar. She promptly corrected me that the original legend was from China. Of course.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Syz I do enjoy reading your posts.
Keep then coming, not sure I have a response to your story, however, they do keep me amused. Thank you.
Especially your words, something about managing the French, dough, like managing smoke... and breasts. Not sure what they had to do with the story but man,
This made me laugh out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think the trick here is to find a balance. This shouldn’t be a one and done. But rather, an opportunity for the slow drip that lasts a lifetime. Would you rather have $10,000 today, or a penny a day with compound interest? 

Start small. “Hey Wingman, remember those two KK’s? Howsabout cooking me...[insert favorite food item here] with a nice bottle of wine?” Wingman eagerly complies. Being Wingman, he thinks you’re singing his tune.

Soon it becomes, “Hey Wingman, remember those two KK’s? Howsabout I remodel [pick your favorite room in the house]?” Again, Wingman complies. After all, he gets some benefit from this as well. He’s also only half paying attention because his brisket hit the stall and he’s freaking out about where to buy pink butcher paper.

Keep working it another year or so. “Hey Wingman, remember those two KK’s? There’s this really cool $5M cottage in Malibu. Comes with a Lamborghini.” By now, Wingman doesn’t even realize what’s happened. He nods up and down, drool dripping from his chin. That’s from the tri tip sandwich he’s finally mastered. 

This is called gaslighting. Look around. It works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

When my wife and I visit the mall she always maneuvers me into the jewelry store by the diamonds. Seems the stone on her finger has lost it's luster and an upgrade in size is must. What ever happened to sentimentality?  Wingman's going to kill me but what better way to have that reminder always with you. Call it a trophy

8 hours ago, Christinelynn said:

So on to my question - what is an actual award for being the coolest, most understanding, most unpretentious, super smart, and wicked funny wife? A gold star and copious amounts of appreciation ain’t gonna cut this one folks!

I'd get her anything she wants!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Christinelynn said:

So you may be familiar with my husband @Wingman505 you may also know we just bought a 32” big bad! You may have also read that he planned to bug me until I agreed to a 23” too... well, it happened much faster than we all would have anticipated 😱 Just got off the phone with Dennis and everything (super nice and great to talk to him, by the way!)...

Suggestions for cool crap for me... and go! 🤣

Welcome @Christinelynn. I'm afraid that the 'most understanding' award is shared with my wife after I might have impulse purchased a 32KK. Well, we'd discussed it but not a timetable for it arriving. Green lit is green lit at the end of the day. Timing is inconsequential. Besides, I was never going to get away with 'Gee, the 19 has put on a bit of weight' as we matched the tiles or my classic 'This, had it for ages, surprised you hadn't noticed it before'.... 

In my experience, flowers and spa treatment never go amiss nor does food cooked on the KK supplied with bottomless margaritas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

When my wife and I visit the mall she always maneuvers me into the jewelry store by the diamonds. Seems the stone on her finger has lost it's luster and an upgrade in size is must. What ever happened to sentimentality?  Wingman's going to kill me but what better way to have that reminder always with you. Call it a trophy

@Christinelynn not a jewelry person.  She wears fake costume stuff besides her wedding ring.  She wears that stuff despite my best efforts to purchase her new, real stuff.  I'm pretty lucky in that respect.  I have to beg her to spend money on herself.  Our marriage roles are clearly reversed.  I'm the spender that has to be kept in check, and she's the responsible money manager.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

In my experience, flowers and spa treatment never go amiss nor does food cooked on the KK supplied with bottomless margaritas. 

I think the Steven Raichlen smoked chickens we had last night helped soften the blow of the purchase.  Also I recently purchased a zephyr blue HD Street Glide Special and have been doing $500-$1000 in modifications to it every month.  I told her no modifications for a while to offset the cost.  :)  The grill took precedence for me.

Back to the smoked chickens... A-friggin-mazing.  The best chicken we ever had was Sous Vide and seared in ghee.  Our spatchcock chickens were unbelievable.  @Christinelynn cut off pieces of breast meat and I'd hold it up in my hands and squeeze it and juices would literally drip out of the meat.  We spoke to Dennis about it last night while discussing our new grill purchase.  He's pretty proud of how chicken comes out of his grills.  I think those chickens helped convince Christine we need to cook on these things primarily.

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 6

We like to tell folks that they've never really had a decent roasted chicken until they've had one cooked on the KK. There's just something magical that happens inside this grill to a nice whole bird! And, the upside is, it's practically impossible to mess one up! ckreef actually tried to overcook and dry out a chicken, as an experiment. He almost couldn't do it! 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Pequod said:

I think the trick here is to find a balance. This shouldn’t be a one and done. But rather, an opportunity for the slow drip that lasts a lifetime. Would you rather have $10,000 today, or a penny a day with compound interest? 

Start small. “Hey Wingman, remember those two KK’s? Howsabout cooking me...[insert favorite food item here] with a nice bottle of wine?” Wingman eagerly complies. Being Wingman, he thinks you’re singing his tune.

Soon it becomes, “Hey Wingman, remember those two KK’s? Howsabout I remodel [pick your favorite room in the house]?” Again, Wingman complies. After all, he gets some benefit from this as well. He’s also only half paying attention because his brisket hit the stall and he’s freaking out about where to buy pink butcher paper.

Keep working it another year or so. “Hey Wingman, remember those two KK’s? There’s this really cool $5M cottage in Malibu. Comes with a Lamborghini.” By now, Wingman doesn’t even realize what’s happened. He nods up and down, drool dripping from his chin. That’s from the tri tip sandwich he’s finally mastered. 

This is called gaslighting. Look around. It works.

(Cue slow clap 👏...👏...👏...)
Your brain works in amazing ways.

• Haha 2