Newbie1925

Smoke profile compared to offset smoker

I am considering purchasing either a 42 inch KK or having an offset smoker being built.  I recognize certainly the ease of use of the KK compared to the offset smoker.  Can any one comment on the taste of low and slow meat like brisket if for example you used the kk smoker device or placed an iron pot in the coals with wood inside.  Was just curious .  Thank you.  

@Tyrus has an offset and a KK. He’s best suited to answer.

My 2 cents: KK brisket is awesome. A stick burning offset in the right hands probably produces an even better one, though. Kamados are extremely versatile, with excellent results across a range of cook styles. But there is often a specialized tool that does even better. Love my KK pizza, but a wood fired oven would be even better. The great advantage of Kamados is that one tool can cover a lot of ground with excellent results, reducing or eliminating the need for multiple cookers.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pequod said:

The great advantage of Kamados is that one tool can cover a lot of ground with excellent results, reducing or eliminating the need for multiple cookers.

Except for Charles...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pequod said:

@Tyrus has an offset and a KK. He’s best suited to answer.

My 2 cents: KK brisket is awesome. A stick burning offset in the right hands probably produces an even better one, though. Kamados are extremely versatile, with excellent results across a range of cook styles. But there is often a specialized tool that does even better. Love my KK pizza, but a wood fired oven would be even better. The great advantage of Kamados is that one tool can cover a lot of ground with excellent results, reducing or eliminating the need for multiple cookers.

It doesn't, however, reduce the need for multiple KKs.  :)

• Like 1

A stick burner
Pros:   Probably the cleanest smoke flavor profiles in BBQ.  Produces vapor without any of the wood's unburned gas vapor. Very clean flavor because they burn wood with a flame which consumes the nasty gas which is bitter and acrid.  Great Bark.  

Cons:  Burning wood with a flame requires lots of airflow which can be very drying over a long cook.  Needs skills to balance heat and babysitting when the ambient temps change.. not much sleep involved.  They are pretty much limited to low and slow cooking.. no grilling, roasting or baking. Wife thinks they look like a choo choo train..

Komodo Kamado
Pros: It's all about the airflow.. Copious amounts of insulation simply holding the heat in. Charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the allowed airflow. If you can burn less fuel to maintain your cooking temperature, you have less airflow, less evaporation, and and of course more retained moisture in your meat, and that's the holy grail of BBQ.  And the reduced airflow creates longer/more retention time for the charcoal vapor/smoke.. the longer the vapor is in contact the more condensation takes place creating more Q flavor.  Basically set and forget temperature wise.  You will get plenty of sleep and complete novices can get great results.  They excel in low and slow, roasting and baking. You can also grill on multiple levels and create 2 zone cooking. Wife thinks they look great..

Cons:  You can't just toss big chunks of wood into your grill while your meat is in there.. the lack of oxygen will create a thick nasty grey bitter acrid smoke.. This can be resolved using foil pouches, cast iron pots or external smoke generators.  Heavy, not available in your local retails stores.. 

• Like 6

The stick burner is a finicky tool and without a doubt requires patience and focus to put out a great product  All Dennis mentioned related to pro's and con's are absolutely spot on, even down to the choo choo train. The secret to an offset is keeping the balance going, clean smoke and a temperature window is your goal and priority. Knowing when too add wood and how much, is your wood DRY, and the wood flavor profile for the specific meat your cooking are all objectives. There are variables such as wind, rain and outside temps that will affect your cook's outcome and even the placement of where you put your meat within the cooker  is a concern.  Once you become accustomed to the routine of fire maintenance the learning curve diminishes and you begin to put out a great product with a superior smoke profile. It's like riding a bike...a little shaky in the beginning but, it smooths out and confidence is acquired each and every time you use it. 

The KK removes the burden, simplifies the process and eliminates the weather and puts out a great tasting product with little effort. If that sounds good well....it is. How can you beat that?  The challenge of the offset once overcome is also a great tool however,  it can take up half the yard..lol. It's obvious on a small cook my 23 is easy and more convienent and quicker to set up but if I'm cooking 40lbs of meat or I have the whole day an as option I'm going to feed that fire on the offset because it's enjoyable now. I would say and finally to answer your question, I prefer at least for brisket the taste coming off of the offset , your not going to beat it...I've cooked on both, and consider myself lucky to have both...enough said, good luck.

Thanks Dennis for the Roto rod...without out doubt this one is perfection.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 4

If you are in the business, stick burners are the norm, you are there working them and attending to them for hours on end day after day and you learn all the necessary nuanced skills. The taste can't be beat. If you are at the house, go with a KK. The taste is 95%, and the skill set is WAY easier to achieve given you aren't cooking briskets all day every day. If you care to become excellent at it , you will. And your guests will NEVER say, "Oh this is shit compared to a stick burner."!!! No, you will get max kudos.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1