cstew32

High heat

Thanks for the tips.  One goal is to get it hot for cleaning, but is it similar to a metal grill where I can burn off most everything in there?  Is it normal that the ceramic is shiny black from previous cooking or is there another method I should consider for cleaning?

1 hour ago, cstew32 said:

Thanks for the tips.  One goal is to get it hot for cleaning, but is it similar to a metal grill where I can burn off most everything in there?  Is it normal that the ceramic is shiny black from previous cooking or is there another method I should consider for cleaning?

I don't know about "shiny" black, but a matte black inside is normal with use. Maybe post a pic of what you mean by "shiny" black?

For cleaning your grates -- a grill floss and/or steel ball style scrubbers work well for day-to-day use. Maybe soak in PBW once or twice a year. I know others are more fastidious than I am, but this works for me.

• Like 1

Make sure it's lump charcoal to start. Use the bigger medium to large pieces to get feel. Pull out the door about an inch at the bottom and monitor but never walk away from the KK in this position for long. Check it down as it responds  and Say 3 Our Fathers and one Hail Mary...that should do it.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Haha 1

@cstew32 - Dennis doesn't recommend doing super high heat "cleanings" on the KK. As he puts it, this thing is not a kiln. 

As part of my shutdown process after each cook, after I make sure that the fire is out by closing the top & bottom vents (dome temps dropped at least 50 - 100F), I open it back up and clean the grate with my grill floss (a 3/8" open-ended box wrench works, too), then bump the top vent open a tad (you don't want the KK to cool down with the top vent tightly closed or it will seize up on you and be a major PITA to open for your next cook), and then close the lid to the 1st position only (don't store the KK with the gasket fully compressed - it shortens it life), and finally put the cover on it. 

• Like 4