Mayor

Cold Smoking Bacon Questions

Looking to cold smoke bacon.  It has been curing for the past week.  With the cold smoker, what is the temperature inside the Komodo (I have 32), can I maintain 80 degrees Fahrenheit?  Any other suggestions/tips using the cold smoker, have not used it yet.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand the situation, if you are cold smoking no heat in the KK is required. I sometimes do a cold smoke for an hour or so then while that is happening I light another KK and let it get up to temp. for me it's around 220-225F and then when it's ready move the bacon over to the other smoker and if you want to also move the cold smoker over too but I don't always do that because I'm using a Mapleleaf lump. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Mayor the cold smoker can raise the ambient outside temp( and inside KK temp cos you have no fire inside, just warm smoke) by around 5c over 2 hours.
If you are in a warm climate and this could be a problem, a bowl of ice under your cook can help keep temps down.
My only tip is the gauze sits inside the cylinder facing upwards. For some reason I found this gives a cleaner smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another tip - pellets seem to work better than wood chips, at least for me. Struggled to keep the chips lit. It also helps to light a small chunk of charcoal and drop that in the tube to help keep things going. I fill the main tube to just above the smoke tube with pellets, drop in the lit charcoal, then fill up the main tube with more pellets. 

• Like 2

I suggest heating what ever wood you are using in the microwave.. this pulls lots of moisture out and helps the material smolder.
I heat the wood in a bowl, then open the door and blow on the wood to remove the steam, while doing this you can gauge how much more moisture is in the wood.  But most smoking wood will have a moisture content of about 10%.

I also suggest running the smoker at the lowest airflow you can and keep the material smoldering.  Lower burn will produce cleaner smoke, don't worry it's not enough it builds up.

And put your meat into the grill as cold as possible, the vapor is transferred to the meat by condensation.

• Like 2