ChiKing

Looking for suggestions for moving a 23”

Hey all,

So Monday is the day and I’ll send pics when done. I was reading up on the moving of the smoker and all the suggestions and details. It seems straight forward. My garage is at ground level and I can roll it through my downstairs with only one small bump on a doorway. 

however, I do have to get it up two stairs, about 13 inches onto a deck and then down again. I suppose for now I could keep it on the deck but would prefer to have it on the ground. Four guys and ropes sounds nice an easy in normal times. However, finding four guys to come to my house now, given everything going on it is not likely.

Any thought on how I could do this with just two of us? It seems my options are ramps, just lift with two, dolly, or maybe take enough off so it’s lighter?

here is a pic of what I need to lift up to. Double doors so plenty wide.

thanks 

F04A387E-6BF5-4516-8B93-CB1646B65352.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a KK23 and they are heavy. I would suggest removing the dome and firebox (assuming it has never been used - it is a one-time opportunity) to lighten it and using a well-supported and secured ramp for the steps. Direct vertical lifting of a 23 will indeed take four people.

How burly are the two? If you can make a long ramp with a shallow slope you should be fine. I moved my 23 to a sloped back yard with only two people. 

The shallower the slope the better. Here’s the math:

F = W * sin(slope)

where W is the weight of the grill and F is the amount of force you need to apply to get it “smoothly” up hill  and down. “Smoothly” is a technical term meaning “without it running away from you.”

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jonj said:

I have a KK23 and they are heavy. I would suggest removing the dome and firebox (assuming it has never been used - it is a one-time opportunity) to lighten it and using a well-supported and secured ramp for the steps. Direct vertical lifting of a 23 will indeed take four people.

Hmm, I figured removing the firebox  before ever being used would be ok. But I thought I read you should not remove the top unless you absolutely need to. I looked but curious if you know the weight of just the main piece and the main plus the top? It may or may not be worth removing. 

I can make a ramp ,l for sure and have one behind and one in front pulling with straps. I might even be able to post some safety straps. 

if I did not live in a city where you have to go through the house to get to the backyard I would have used my Jeep winch to pull it. 😂😂

Edited by ChiKing

In my opinion, removing the dome is not a big deal. I have had mine off (two different KKs) a couple of times and the tolerances are such I’ve found they usually don’t need much adjusting. If they do, it is usually a minor matter. There are a few threads here on how to do it.

Yep, remove the dome, stretch the ramp, all good points. I remember Dennis relating to me not to play with the fire box, if they are fragile or could crack. Once I got mine I reseated them and haven't touched them since. My brother and I moved mine up a ramp at 10-11 inches. What's an extra inch or two, huh?

I had to take my 23" up 7 steps in my house to get it to my deck. I built a ramp for it of 3/4" plywood. It took 5 of us to push/pull it up those stairs, with the dome removed. Rolled it through the living and dining rooms, then over the transom of the kitchen door out to the deck. We did it, but it was a chore! Glad to only have to do that once! If I ever sell the house, the KK is staying with it. I'll buy another one for the new place, just so I don't have to move it off the deck again! 

Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1