Tyrus

Here's the Dilemma

From what I've read most of us put our KK's on the deck. Now if your deck is 8 or 9 feet in the air well that's a horse of a different color. I remember just recently Toney mentioning that if he sold the farm the KK is staying planted on the deck because he doesn't want to move it again. Swear to God. So a decision is forthcoming soon and I'm at crossroad. What do think? Should it go up high or stay down low?  The weight isn't a concern, I believe I could park my SUV on it. It definitely would be nice to enjoy at short distance, but once it's there I think it may have to stay with the house, ( not that I'm moving anytime soon.)  Like Basher I fed the tradesmen, a plate of hotdogs, tatoe salad and chips that disappeared before I could get the picture and these bacon wrapped pork and stuffing things. Drizzled in Saucehound BBQ Spice rub recently purchased on Amazon. This is a good rub for ribs, chicken and gives a nice color,,,just an all around good rub. 5lbs for $39.69....can't beat that

DSCF3018.JPG

DSCF3017.JPG

DSCF3021.JPG

DSCF3022.JPG

• Like 4

The upper deck would be a shorter trip from the kitchen...................

The lower deck would give it cover it for snowy winter cookouts...................

If the on upper deck, you could get it down the same way you get it up there.

Decisions.......decisions!!!!!!!  

• Like 3

Sorry no magic pencil. This is long overdue, years, but it's getting done. Use to be that I got my supplies upstair in the kitchen and walked to the front carrying it all then down to landing and down again to the lower level, through the laundry room and out to the lower deck to cook. Just hope you didn't forget anything because it's all uphill if you did. Anyway I look at now the trip will be shorter.., up or down when the work gets done. This will be #2 spot and the decision as you may be aware of comes from a higher authority. I have the help to move it up, getting it down later is another story. My hearts still in it, the body seems to be elsewhere. 

DSCF3019.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

But another KK. One for the top and one for the bottom

That would be nice, a smaller one for the top, I could carry that myself.  Unfortunately I've purchased two items that every RV'r should have when camping and that has set me back but puts me so far ahead of the others so, it'll have to wait. I do like the idea.

1 hour ago, Tucker said:

which way to go?

Help I'm drowning.......feel like Lou Costello catching candy lifesavers from Bud Abbott

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

But where does he store the Fogo?

Ahh Pequod...the Fogo, A little overrated but obviously in the new coal box

• Like 1

Definitely down stairs Tyrus.
Why? It give you good reason to get out into that big back yard and helps you engage with nature- and use more of your land.
Freezer/ fridge and charcoal storage in the laundry.
Stage 2, move the indoor kitchen to the laundry and put the laundry elsewhere.
Before you know it, the herb garden, and vege patch will be accessible to the kitchen as will the orchard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

All these productive minds, where would I be without yah. And to think the answer was right in front of me all this time. Luckily I have a week to mull this over and analyze these contributions. I'm forever in your debt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I real dilemma, for sure. The simplest answer is the 2nd KK, (well done, ckreef!)

Another thought, is to leave the KK on the ground, but build a hand-cranked pulley and picnic basket (or cooler) assembly to lower and raise food/materials down from the upstairs deck so you don't have to schlep the stuff up/down stairs.  Mount it on the deck rail, with a pivot, so you can swing it in to load it up/swing it back out to lower to down to the KK. Like the bucket for a well. If you wanted to get real fancy, use a motorized wench to lower/raise the basket of goodies.

I faced a similar decision about my beermaking when I retired. I knew that I'd be brewing more, with the newfound time, but I was tired of hauling all the gear from the basement up to the kitchen to brew, then haul everything back downstairs to clean and put away (trust me, cleaning 5 gallon carboys in a phone booth shower stall is not any fun!) So, I brought in my contractor to build me a new brew room in the basement - several thousand dollars later, problem solved! Don't regret spending a single penny. Point of the story - figure out what's going to work best for you in the long run and will remove any recurring tedium, so you can enjoy your grilling to its full potential, then budget accordingly. Just like not regretting your initial purchase of the KK, you won't regret whatever you decide to do and spend, if it makes you happy. 

• Like 3

Thanks Tony, mentionable  thoughts for sure and maybe a proper application to raise food up. I say that because 7 weeks ago I stumbled one step from the top stair in the house carrying the food off the KK and landed on my knee cap, it took a beating. Generally I heal after a few weeks, this time not so well.  Regrets, we all have regrets....one for sure is not buying my 23. Happy is being content with a smile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Thanks Tony, mentionable  thoughts for sure and maybe a proper application to raise food up. I say that because 7 weeks ago I stumbled one step from the top stair in the house carrying the food off the KK and landed on my knee cap, it took a beating. Generally I heal after a few weeks, this time not so well.  Regrets, we all have regrets....one for sure is not buying my 23. Happy is being content with a smile.

I think you have your answer right here.  I am tempted by the two KK option but I wouldn't have them on two levels. Give in to your inner child.  Do what makes you happy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And that's exactly what I did Tekebo. Figured a little exercise was in order so I purchased two ebikes. Very convenient around town for errands to the store or local winery. They have the motor assist to reduce your work when peddling or if you want, just use the throttle. Very nice with a range of 25-50 miles depending on various conditions and factors. Think I'm leaning towards ground level, no balcony smokin for this guy, like the idea of another KK but I have 5 large smokers now. A new deck, 2 bikes, another KK at this time isn't in the mix, but never say never.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Jon B. said:

The lower deck would give it cover it for snowy winter cookouts...................

That works, just hope I don't tumble down the snow covered steps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

nd that's exactly what I did Tekebo. Figured a little exercise was in order so I purchased two ebikes. Very convenient around town for errands to the store or local winery. They have the motor assist to reduce your work when peddling or if you want, just use the throttle. Very nice with a range of 25-50 miles depending on various conditions and factors. Think I'm leaning towards ground level, no balcony smokin for this guy, like the idea of another KK but I have 5 large smokers now. A new deck, 2 bikes, another KK at this time isn't in the mix, but never say never.

The bikes sound like fun! And if you decide on the ground level, ferrying the food up and down will keep you fit too.  Just so long as you no longer have to do the funny dance through the rest of your house.   And, best of all, you have not ruled out another KK.  :rr:

• Like 1

After all is said and done there are two reasons why the KK remains on  the lower deck. 1. Take a look at those stairs, no way..Jose'.  2. After the wife was done decorating there wasn't any room.  Dilemma solved.  Have to admit, it's a comfortable spot up top.  AS far as the KK is concerned.....the jury is still out.  Mac, the last pic is for you.......yes those are tomatoes on the vine

DSCF3027.JPG

DSCF3026.JPG

DSCF3024.JPG

DSCF3029.JPG

DSCF3030.JPG

• Like 3

Very nice. I have a similar gazebo on my deck. Makes sitting out that much nicer - no bugs to deal with! (Note: the sides hadn't been put on yet, when I took this picture.)

Hey, at least your stairs are in a straight line! Mine curve around to match the deck. That's why my KK came through the house to get on the deck, including the 8 steps from the foyer to the main floor, but those were a straight shot. No excuse, dude!

364530525_NewGazebo005.thumb.jpg.b0c1dcfd71c9a4e9cae6e869fd7f424d.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

After the wife was done decorating there wasn't any room.  Dilemma solved.

Your new space looks lovely Tyrus and it sounded like your wife had solved your problem but you go on to say...

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

AS far as the KK is concerned.....the jury is still out

You still in up, down, up, down questioning mode or staying put on lower level?

@tony b, your deck looks purdy.  Do you come straight out from your kitchen onto the deck? We have curvy stairs to navigate here.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1

Unique looking Tony. I like the brown and black railing with the curve. We chose a white but already I see it may be difficult keeping clean. One other thing.....we placed caps of course on all the railing posts, they're solar and the unique feature about them is they remain on all night...niffty.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1