Antonio Colmenares

Brisket Try another

Antonio if by “not good” it was bitter or creosote like in flavour, then this is a fire management issue. Maybe you didn’t get enough air flow to burn off the bad smoke.
It happens if you get the fire hot, then close down your bottom vent.
Get your charcoal well lit with the lower vent open 10mm plus third smallest circle.
Open your top vent 2 full turns until your thermometer reads around 150f.
Then wind you top vent back to about 1/8 to 1/4 turn from closed.
Let the fire settle for 20 minutes before putting your food in.
Play around with your top vent so you get familiar with the consistency of temperatures. Leave the bottom vent alone.
I’ve muddled my way through creosote cooks and found my main mistake was trying to wind down temperatures using the bottom vent. It smothers the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Antonio, there are a number of factors to consider before you cook the brisket. For me it's fat content, how you trim that fat, the selection of meat, is it select, choice, prime or wagu and even how the meat appears or bends when choosing. That's only the beginning, and as Toney mentioned a cold piece will accept more smoke in time placed on the grill at a governed temp. You may even choose to wrap and add some beef broth or whatever flavor enhancers into your mix at 165 for a moister piece. It's all trial and error,  I have found briskets with less fat coming out on the dry side and wished I may have chosen the other. An easy answer Antonio is find a way most comfortable to you and follow that branch, it will change and branch off into better results but, unfortunately that's the path we all follow.  Good luck, one small step for man one giant leap for mankind.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Basher said:

Antonio if by “not good” it was bitter or creosote like in flavour, then this is a fire management issue. Maybe you didn’t get enough air flow to burn off the bad smoke.
It happens if you get the fire hot, then close down your bottom vent.
Get your charcoal well lit with the lower vent open 10mm plus third smallest circle.
Open your top vent 2 full turns until your thermometer reads around 150f.
Then wind you top vent back to about 1/8 to 1/4 turn from closed.
Let the fire settle for 20 minutes before putting your food in.
Play around with your top vent so you get familiar with the consistency of temperatures. Leave the bottom vent alone.
I’ve muddled my way through creosote cooks and found my main mistake was trying to wind down temperatures using the bottom vent. It smothers the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Antonio, there are a number of factors to consider before you cook the brisket. For me it's fat content, how you trim that fat, the selection of meat, is it select, choice, prime or wagu and even how the meat appears or bends when choosing. That's only the beginning, and as Toney mentioned a cold piece will accept more smoke in time placed on the grill at a governed temp. You may even choose to wrap and add some beef broth or whatever flavor enhancers into your mix at 165 for a moister piece. It's all trial and error,  I have found briskets with less fat coming out on the dry side and wished I may have chosen the other. An easy answer Antonio is find a way most comfortable to you and follow that branch, it will change and branch off into better results but, unfortunately that's the path we all follow.  Good luck, one small step for man one giant leap for mankind.