AJR

23 Ultimate on the way

Hey guys,

Long time board reader, long time drooler over all things KK.  I've been reading this forum for five years now, pining away for the time I would be able to have a KK of my own after having one of the best meals ever cooked by a friend on his 23 Ultimate.

Just pulled the trigger on a 23 Ultimate in Cobalt Blue.  Wanted the 32, but couldn't justify the price difference to the boss.  Maybe after she's had a few meals on it, I'll be in the market for a 32.  Thanks to everyone for already answering 99% of the questions I would have asked had they not been answered in the forum already.  And thanks to Dennis for answering the other 1%.

Now the interminable wait for it to ship to AZ from California.

Adam

• Like 11

Welcome @AJR and an extra special welcome to the cobalt blue club.  As you have probably gathered, we relive our experience of receiving our KKs by following your journey. Don't forget to update us on the wait, arrival, uncrating and, of course, your first cook!

• Like 4

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

It's going to be an interesting delivery for sure.  I have to figure out how to get it over about 120 feet of gravel and 40 feet of grass to its place of honor in the backyard.  Any pointers, I am all ears.

Congrats on the new KK!

Standard method is 2 sheets of plywood, where the first overlaps the 2nd by an inch or so. Roll the KK off the packing crate using the include ramp onto the first sheet. Then roll it from the first sheet to the second, move the 1st sheet of plywood, rinse and repeat. Even easier with 3 sheets of plywood.

If you have 4 burly friends, you can use 2 2x4's and the lifting straps that are attached to the legs of the KK. Slide the 2x4's into the loops, have the 4 guys lift and carry it to the final resting spot.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wingman505 said:

When is it supposed to arrive?  Did you order any charcoal too?

Not sure on arrival yet, still waiting on confirmation as I just ordered it last night.  I loaded it up with 2 bags of coffee char, 6 boxes of Coco char, and some smoke wood.  Also got the split basket, and rib rack.  Hoping I don't regret not getting the double bottom pan.  I figure I'll get a steel for Pizza somewhere, and I don't plan to bake much (yet) so I skipped the stone.

9 minutes ago, bgrant3406 said:

Congrats on the new KK!

Standard method is 2 sheets of plywood, where the first overlaps the 2nd by an inch or so. Roll the KK off the packing crate using the include ramp onto the first sheet. Then roll it from the first sheet to the second, move the 1st sheet of plywood, rinse and repeat. Even easier with 3 sheets of plywood.

If you have 4 burly friends, you can use 2 2x4's and the lifting straps that are attached to the legs of the KK. Slide the 2x4's into the loops, have the 4 guys lift and carry it to the final resting spot.

Thanks, I had the idea of using plywood overlapping as well (or previously read it somewhere else in the forum).  How easily does it roll on pavers?  My driveway is pavers, so just wondering if it's easier to use plywood the whole way, or not needed for the 30 feet of pavers.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AJR said:

Thanks, I had the idea of using plywood overlapping as well (or previously read it somewhere else in the forum).  How easily does it roll on pavers?  My driveway is pavers, so just wondering if it's easier to use plywood the whole way, or not needed for the 30 feet of pavers.

If the pavers are well set and basically level, then the KK should roll over it, just take care. 

The KK rolls well, if the plywood is level (or slight left/right incline) one person can do it, but always safest to have two, one to push, one to guide. Just take it slow and easy and you shouldn't run into any issues. Don't use the handle to pull or push from the top, you don't want to tweak anything.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, AJR said:

Not sure on arrival yet, still waiting on confirmation as I just ordered it last night.  I loaded it up with 2 bags of coffee char, 6 boxes of Coco char, and some smoke wood.  Also got the split basket, and rib rack.  Hoping I don't regret not getting the double bottom pan.  I figure I'll get a steel for Pizza somewhere, and I don't plan to bake much (yet) so I skipped the stone.

I'm excited for you AJR.  :)  I hired movers to roll my 32" BB "Cronos" from the front of my house to the back.  We needed to go down a grade, and walk it down the full length of the house (loose gravel - dog run), through 2 gates, across a flagstone "bridge" and up a ledge onto the patio.  Get the 8 X 4 sheets of plywood.  I used 3/4" just to be sure with the 918 pound BB.  I think you can easily get away with 1/2" and save a tiny bit of cash.  I would have loved to move Cronos through the house, but he wouldn't fit through doors.  Once Hestia arrives, she's going through the house.  Its a straight shot, we have tile floors, its a concrete slab, so I'm not worried.  Plus, the 23" is roughly 400 pounds lighter, so I'm going to enlist friends instead of hiring movers.  Mr. Grant above is spot on... Don't use the lid or handle for moving.  Id use the wood if the pavers aren't level as it'd be easier to move, and I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on the legs, but I'm neurotic like that ;)

• Like 3

Thanks guys.  I'll probably use the plywood the entire way.  The pavers are pretty even, but I don't want to get started only to find the 600 lb beast wedged between two pavers.  Thankfully it's pretty level from the front to the back, and no stairs or else I'd hire professionals.

Any tips on what to cook first for an amateur BBQist?  I grill one heck of a steak if I do say so myself, and plan to cook many on the new Ultimate, but never done low & slow real BBQ.

Edited by AJR
  • Like 2

Not low and slow, but if you want to freak folks out, cook a simple chicken breast, it will probably be the most moist chicken you have ever eaten!

Folks typically have not seen the amount of moisture that comes out of a fully cooked KK chicken breast before.

For low and slow a simple pork butt is an easy starting point that doesn't disappoint.

Edited by bgrant3406
  • Like 3

Glad you followed the path less traveled and chose the 23, your decision will pay you back handsomely. Don't fret about the moving as long as your not traversing 14 stairs for a destination, 2 friends are quite enough to settle your prize in. My brother and I moved the KK a long distance without a problem but, carefully we followed a well thought out plan. SO good luck and Hakuna-matata to you.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Obsession! You're going to fall head over heels in love with this grill once you start cooking on it. 

Pork butts are a slam dunk 1st cook - impossible to screw up. Plan B, do a whole spatchcocked chicken - again, almost impossible to screw up. Both cooks will amaze you on how well this elegant piece of yard art cooks! 

• Like 3

Stop it, you're making me hungry.  😜

I can't wait for it to get here.  Any idea how long it took to get shipping info or getting a confirmation from Dennis?  I would imagine from Cali to AZ shouldn't take too long to get here once it's on a truck.  I got the automated purchase email when I bought it, but haven't heard anything since that.  I know I've waited five years, so I should just relax, but I'm trying to be patient and failing miserably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AJR, the shipping will take one day, then you have to schedule a delivery with the freight company. Mine was shipped Monday and I had it in my hands on Thursday.  I have had a 23" on order since May 8th and I think the holdup is the Coffee Char I ordered with the KK.  Dennis had indicated to me that the container of Char had made it to the states a week or so ago, I believe, so we should expect them to ship really soon.

• Like 1

I talked to Dennis.  The holdup is the Coffee charcoal.  The CBP did a physical inspection on the entire container when it arrived in California.  He said it was a complete mess when they were done.  So they're re-bagging all the charcoal and boxing it to ship to people.  He said he expects them to start shipping by early next week.

Edited by AJR
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1