Wingman505

Hinge Lubrication

I recently adjusted my spring as the lid wasn’t opening quite the way it was when first delivered.  I needed to slightly adjust it again today to get it right where I want it.  I decided to lubricate the hinge and spray a little creeping lubricant into the hinge pivot point.  I then opened and closed the lid a few times and I quickly realized that I added too much tension to the spring.  It was opening faster and harder than I’d like, so I readjusted the spring and removed a little tension.  The moral of the story is we should lubricate our hinges on occasion as part of our routine maintenance.  

My spray lubricant of choice is Boeshield T-9.  It’s amazing stuff.  If you haven’t used it before, give it a try.  I’ve been using it for years on my 5th wheel in a multitude of places including hinge and latch mechanisms, etc.  It worked wonders on Cronos’ hinge.  😊. It dissolves corrosion, displaces water, and leaves a thin, waterproof lubricating film.

We’re making pizza tonight.  I hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Made me think that I've never added any oil to my hinge however the hinge adjustment was done only once when I first received my KK and still performs outstanding.  Don't have the T-9 but I do have some clock oil, reminds me of Tin Man...hoping my KK doesn't start talking and roll away on me.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I use Boeshield T-9 mainly for rust prevention on hand tools and woodworking power tool steel tops (cabinet saw, jointer, planer, etc). It does do a good job as a lubricant as well. I hadn't thought of lubricating the KK hinge. Good tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do any construction, repair or maintenance work at all, you need a can of Boeshield at hand. As well, a can of Kano Aerokroil, which is a creeping lube/ bolt loosener. Eh, I guess some WD-40 also. But it's pretty much obviated by the other two.

• Like 2

From Amazon: Boeshield T-9 was developed and licensed by global aerospace leader, The Boeing Company, to fill a need for high-performance, long-term metal protection and lubrication. T-9's rust preventative spray uses a unique formulation of solvent carrier and paraffin wax coating engineered to penetrate crevices deeply, displace moisture, dissolve minor corrosion, and leave a clean, waxy coating with lasting durability-without using Teflon, silicone, fluorocarbons, MEK, or acetone. Whether it be automotive, bicycle, industrial, lawn and garden, marine, RV or tools, T-9 continues to be the best option for rust prevention and waterproof lubrication.

image.jpeg.ddab6560d4b8d18238a066fb5830dcb0.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks for the Boeshield Information.  Going to order some and check it out. 

Being a boater....everything I own gets rusty/corroded/pitted/etc.  I have had great results with the fluid film on steel, aluminum, battery terminals, trailer hitches, locks, stainless steel, etc.    Besides the fact that it works well, it has no explosive solvents.  Important when used in the bilge/engine area. It was developed for the marine and off shore drilling environments.  

FLUID FILM® is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement. These long lasting products contain no solvents, will not dry out and will penetrate to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial atmospheres. Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying FLUID FILM®.

Check out this interesting test.....

Going to check out the T-9 product but this is a great product also.   FYI

• Like 3