HokieBen

Took the Plunge!

Hey guys,

Just had a conversation with Dennis and pulled the trigger on the BB32 I’ve been eye ball’n for the past month or so. Super excited and ready to see the thing in person! I’ve been cooking on Vision kamados for the past 8 years or so and my dad was a BGE guy so I’ve always loved that platform. Discovered there was this new level and have been reading and lurking on the forum for weeks now. Very helpful info for the decision making process for sure. Initially I was sold on the 23”, but as I read and thought more the 32” made more and more sense. 

Anyway, I feel like I know many of you already from all the posts. Dennis estimated 5-7 days to be delivered from Cali to Virginia Beach so I’m on that long wait that seems like forever. I’m sure I’ll have questions for the group, looking forward to the journey!

• Like 3

Welcome to the Obsession! Can't wait to see the pics of your KK on uncrating!

While you have previous experience with similar style grills (which will actually be helpful making the transition), prepare to be blown away once yours arrives! Not only is the build quality superior to anything that you've seen before, the actual cooking products that you're about to experience will be nothing like what you've tasted before! Not hyperbole - FACT!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HokieBen said:

Hey guys,

Just had a conversation with Dennis and pulled the trigger on the BB32 I’ve been eye ball’n for the past month or so. Super excited and ready to see the thing in person! I’ve been cooking on Vision kamados for the past 8 years or so and my dad was a BGE guy so I’ve always loved that platform. Discovered there was this new level and have been reading and lurking on the forum for weeks now. Very helpful info for the decision making process for sure. Initially I was sold on the 23”, but as I read and thought more the 32” made more and more sense. 

Anyway, I feel like I know many of you already from all the posts. Dennis estimated 5-7 days to be delivered from Cali to Virginia Beach so I’m on that long wait that seems like forever. I’m sure I’ll have questions for the group, looking forward to the journey!

I did the exact same thing.  I ordered a 23” then we reconsidered and called Dennis to change the order to a 32BB.  I ended up buying an Ultimate weeks later after we cooked on the BB a few times. Please throw some pictures up when it arrives so we may see it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Basher said:

Welcome Ben and congrats on the decision to invest.
I’m looking forward to seeing your unpacking and also your favourite cooks.
What colour did you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the color I selected, I really wanted the most orange grill I could get. My vision was orange and I even have a mini orange vision, kind of a college school color thing. 

E17960C0-4A9A-4EFC-A3D7-58A4658EAB45.png

• Like 3

Thanks @Pequod!!! I knew you were a fellow Virginian! I read plenty of your posts where you mentioned you’d consider selling one of yours. The thought crossed my mind to ask if you were still open to that! I really like the two you have. Tell your daughter Go Hokies for me! You too @BIGSHEP!!!

I’m hoping by this time next week I have pics of the new family member to share, can’t wait. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HokieBen said:

Thanks @Pequod!!! I knew you were a fellow Virginian! I read plenty of your posts where you mentioned you’d consider selling one of yours. The thought crossed my mind to ask if you were still open to that! I really like the two you have. Tell your daughter Go Hokies for me! You too @BIGSHEP!!!

I’m hoping by this time next week I have pics of the new family member to share, can’t wait. 

Did you order any coal with your grill.  Have you received a shipping confirmation?

I have not received shipping confirmation yet. My grill is in stock in the CA warehouse so a week out per Dennis’ guess. 

Didn’t order any charcoal, this is what I picked up:

- Charcoal basket splitter (talked to Dennis and got a cool surprise. The splitter for the BB32 is now the same design as the 42 so it’s now even more flexible)

- Side tables with stainless tops

- Wide grill cover

Figured that was enough damage for now. There’s other accessories I’ll definitely be adding down the road. 

• Like 2

Congrats Ben. You’ve made an amazing choice in the BB32!

I made the same choice, nearly two years ago now, and have loved every single minute of ownership.

Make sure you book the day off, or chuck a sickie on delivery day. Take your time to uncrate the beast, the whole experience is absolutely amazing!!!

Here’s some pics to get you excited, and a bit of what to expect. As good as these are, nothing will prepare your for seeing your grill in person!!

6169c2e53ee3c42871b6766cc4d245a5.jpg

843961dfde91e3229e1139590c596fd0.jpg
293493d52520dd22efe9eef59958cada.jpg
6b420fa1f8155445abe18691550b7ba6.jpg
28f665a684942d5c2594128299fc765b.jpg
a69aba9f39ca34ee9debced4e15e0f13.jpg

Please please remember to take some good pics, I get immense pleasure looking back on my delivery day experience, and we all absolutely love seeing them on here too!

Edited by alimac23
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, HokieBen said:

I have not received shipping confirmation yet. My grill is in stock in the CA warehouse so a week out per Dennis’ guess. 

Wow.  That's awesome.  I ordered my in stock 23 a week ago today, and haven't heard anything back from Dennis despite reaching out to him several times through email.  I was starting to worry about him, so it's good to hear somebody talked to him.  Maybe I'll try calling him when it's not the middle of the night in Bali.

I'll absolutely take/post pics. Thanks @alimac23 for sharing those great shots, love the pebbles. I was going back and forth between pebbles and tiles, probably can't go wrong either way. As soon as I have the delivery day set I'll definitely plan on taking the day to soak it all in. I believe I'm pretty lucky in the fact that I have a very level driveway that has a nice level concrete path all the way around to the back where the beast will live. I'm a little nervous about getting it off the wooden block initially and then down the crate top/ramp. Once I'm past that I think I'm pretty home free.

Quick question I'm wondering about. I hear how easy these are to roll around, which is great, but are you able to lock the casters in place? I'm planning on having this at the edge of my back concrete pool deck area. I don't want someone accidentally pushing it and it falling off the edge of the pool deck (about 4-5 inches where concrete meets grass). I want to make sure once it's in place it'll stay there because I know it'll be drawing attention from friends that have no idea what they're seeing. 

• Like 2

No locking castors but the weight, especially with a 32, provides lots of inertia. I have a 23 and while it moves easily once in motion, getting the motion started takes some effort.

Those with a 32 can add information as needed.

And yes, welcome to our not-so-little clubhouse! 

• Like 2

The 32 definitely takes some weight behind it to get it moving.

I’m a 110kg guy, I have to really lean into the 32 and rock it a few times, whilst throwing all my weight at it to get it moving, once it’s rolling, it’s easy to keep moving, but not initially.

• Like 3

Thanks for the quick replies! That makes me feel better. Once I get my hands on it I'll probably realize that might have been a silly question but I've read a few times how you can roll them around fairly easily so I thought I'd ask the experts. 

What's the best topic to use to read up on the burn in? Never had to do this before so reading up on what to expect seems like a good idea with pushing tiles back in place etc. 

• Like 3

All good Ben, no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers!

Correct me if I’m wrong@DennisLinkletter but the burn in part of the process has been greatly reduced. I remember speaking to Dennis when I bought mine, and he said they were using a new process to adhere the “grout” that meant the burn in process would be a lot less eventful, mine literally had about 3-4 pebbles raise slightly, then I pushed them back in whilst it cooled, and that was it.

Hopefully some owners that have done the burn in / have more info can comment on how there’s went with the newer KK’s?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AJR said:

Wow.  That's awesome.  I ordered my in stock 23 a week ago today, and haven't heard anything back from Dennis despite reaching out to him several times through email.  I was starting to worry about him, so it's good to hear somebody talked to him.  Maybe I'll try calling him when it's not the middle of the night in Bali.

I have been waiting since May 8th despite the fact that mine was ready stock in CA.  I think the coffe char is the holdup, but I haven't really received status updates.  We're not impatient, more so excited, and anxiously awaiting the shipment email.  I bought 15 bags of coffee char and 15 boxes of coco char with the 23" Ultimate.  Im super excited to try those coals.  I know I'll end up stashing them for special cooks, lol.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HokieBen said:

Quick question I'm wondering about. I hear how easy these are to roll around, which is great, but are you able to lock the casters in place? I'm planning on having this at the edge of my back concrete pool deck area. I don't want someone accidentally pushing it and it falling off the edge of the pool deck (about 4-5 inches where concrete meets grass). I want to make sure once it's in place it'll stay there because I know it'll be drawing attention from friends that have no idea what they're seeing. 

My 32 actually rolls much easier than my 23. My KK’s are also on the edge of the patio. I use these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07215FC8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 4