HokieBen

Beer Can Chicken Night

2 minutes ago, HokieBen said:

Yeah I know it’s a little gimmicky but still fun and the kids always love it. Turned out great! I wanted to spatchcock it but got home late from work and didn’t have time and also didn’t feel like the extra work involved. 

Tony is right though.  Wait until you try the chicken cooked on the KK.  I had a 32 BB for a week and cooked chicken on it.  My wife signed off on a 23” based on that meal, lol.  No kidding.  It’s that good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wingman505 said:

Tony is right though.  Wait until you try the chicken cooked on the KK.  I had a 32 BB for a week and cooked chicken on it.  My wife signed off on a 23” based on that meal, lol.  No kidding.  It’s that good.

Considering I still want a 32 after my better half signed off on the 23, I'm gonna need that recipe pronto.  ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, AJR said:

Considering I still want a 32 after my better half signed off on the 23, I'm gonna need that recipe pronto.  ;-)

Lol.  What’s crazy is it doesn’t take anything special.  I didn’t inject or brine.  I coated in oil and Holy Voodoo from Meat Church.  Cooked until 158 degrees internal anticipating a little carryover cooking.

@Christinelynn cut breast meat from the chicken and squeezed it... a stream of clear liquid flowed from the meat.  It was the juiciest chicken we’ve ever had.  I can’t wait for you two to get your KKs.  😊

I initially bought the BB as I felt blessed she sanctioned the purchase at all.  I had cooked my last brisket on our XL BGE and scorched the bottom in places as the plate setter design is terrible and allows too much direct in three places.  She knew how disappointed I was.  I read so many posts concerning g BGE owners engineering their own fixes to the direct heat issue.  I had enough.  I wanted to ensure I had the real estate to cook anything I’d ever want to.  The BB provides that, but I have to admit I think the 23” will be utilized more often.  It has the room to cook for the two of us and our boys.  It will require less coal to cook the items we’re likely to cook regularly.  It still has the cooking area to smoke a lot of food.  I think it may be the best looking grill/smoker if the bunch too.

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Ditch the beer can chicken when you get your KK. It cooks the most moist and flavorful chicken without any gimmicks* that you've ever had. FOOLPROOF! (Folks have intentionally tried to screw up a roast chicken on a KK - almost impossible!!)

https://amazingribs.com/bbq-techniques-and-science/beer-can-chicken

I totally agree with Tony on this one. This is how you should use your beer :drinkers:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HokieBen said:

I wanted to spatchcock it but got home late from work and didn’t have time and also didn’t feel like the extra work involved. 

What "extra work"?? It's taking a pair of kitchen shears and cutting out the backbone, flip it over and press down hard with your hands to break the breast bone. Start to finish in under a minute. It probably took you longer than that to drink 3/4 of the beer before shoving the can up the chicken's butt! Just sayin' 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2