AJR

Best BBQ Temperature Probes?

I'm looking to get myself a good temperature probe(s).  I've seen pictures of people using the wireless MEATERs or something similar, I'm curious how they work vs wired units.  My concern with those is I plan to do a lot of high heat cooking of steaks that I will want to probe, and I've read the wireless ones can only go up so high in temperature before being ruined.  So...what's the best you've used, and why?  Should I go with a wireless one for low and slow, and rely on an instant read to just poke a steak when I think it's close?  How's the realistic battery life on the wireless ones - long enough for a 12 hour brisket?  Should I just get a wired one?  If so, which is best?  Any features that are "must have"?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by AJR

I have a wireless Meater. It defiantly works for certain applications. Anything from Thermoworks is good for wired. They have lower end units and high end units. I also have and like the high end units that use the k-type probes but that's just me and I have a specific application that can only be met with k-type probe. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

For low-n-slow, i use BBQGURU digiQ that i purchased years ago, still does what I need.

For temp monitoring on hot / fast cooks I use thermoworks 'thermpro'

For instant temp check i use thermoworks instant read thermometer.

There are several other quality products with many more features taht have been brought to market since i bought my items.

• Like 2

I have a variety of ways to measure temps - MEATER+, Guru digiQ-II, and Maverick XR50 for continuous monitoring and a Thermapen MK4 for instant read. (I have a cheapo instant read, too, off of Amazon - Lavatools PT12 Javelin) 

MEATER+ was the only thing on the market for doing rotisserie cooks - totally wireless**. It recharges in its base when not in use (single AAA battery). You can easily get a 20 hour cook out of a full charge. There's a scored line on the probe that must be inserted into the meat to that depth to protect the internals. Plus, there's an alarm function in the app if the probe starts to get too hot. From their website: The internal sensor max is 212°F (100°C). Temps above the maximum may potentially damage MEATER+. The ambient sensor max is 527°F (275°C). Temps above the maximum may potentially damage MEATER+. With its efficient charging block, the probe can be charged up to 100 times with a single AAA battery. 

** It used to be the only thing on the market. Maverick now has a similar unit (STAKE). I just learned about it. It's only downside is that the probe is only good for a 4 hour cook before needing to be recharged. Would work for most rotisserie cooks. Probe temp limits are similar to MEATER. Charging base is USB powered. App looks similar to MEATER's. Price is a skoosh cheaper. 

Guru has to be plugged into a power source, even if you aren't running the fan, but just want to monitor temps with it. Originally, I got one of those car battery jump starters that had a "cigarette lighter" style plug in the side. The Guru has a 12V adapter unit that can plug into it. I could get several long cooks out of it before needing to recharge the jump starter unit (overnight). Now, I have a power cord run to the grill so I can plug the Guru power transformer in directly into a 120V outlet. I ran the power cord for the rotisserie motor and the cold smoker aquarium pump. 

The new Maverick model (XR50) is a HUGE improvement over their older models, which were flimsy and the probes burned out quickly. The unit is solidly built, waterproof, and can run up to 4 probes at once. The transmitter and receiver both run on AAA batteries (2 each.) Probes are good to 570F.

My recommendation, if you don't need true wireless (i.e., MEATER), go with the Maverick XR50. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input, guys.  I'm leaning towards the MEATER+ at this point because while I didn't get the roti yet, I like the idea of having an app to track long cooks, and I like the look of their app.

BTW - Meatstick has a new, smaller wireless probe on Kickstarter.  I'm hesitant to go the Kickstarter route though, because who knows when I'll ever get it?

1 hour ago, AJR said:

BTW - Meatstick has a new, smaller wireless probe on Kickstarter.  I'm hesitant to go the Kickstarter route though, because who knows when I'll ever get it?

Don't even get me started ranting about the Meater Kickstarter. That was my first Kickstarter adventure. It was such a disaster I'll never do another Kickstarter again. When my Meater dies I would never, ever buy another one to replace it. I consider it the worst out of 6 different temperature monitors I've owned (or still own). It is a very niche gadget (rotisserie). It does that really well, for anything else there's something better. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I consider it the worst out of 6 different temperature monitors I've owned (or still own). It is a very niche gadget (rotisserie). It does that really well, for anything else there's something better. 

Well, then I take back my statement about leaning towards the Meater since I really don't need roti for the foreseeable future.  I think a few of the wired ones now come with apps, I'll just have to do some more research.

Thanks for your input.

It sounds like @ckreef has the original meater, I’ve read about all the issues reported with the first model. I’ve been using the meater + version and I love it, great results and really easy to use. Love that I don’t have to worry about wires hanging all over the grill. 

I’ve used it with long 12+ hour brisket cooks, quick high temp steak cooks (below 500 F) and stuff in between, always great results. 

I love that I can monitor from my phone too, using the cloud feature. I can be at the store or at a friends and keep an eye on my slow cook at home. 

Just my two cents, works great for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ben while you are investigating thermometer probes. Check out Smartfire.

https://smartfirebbq.com
I did the research 9 months ago and the wifi and Bluetooth connection appealed to me so I could duck down to the shops or attend kids sports for an afternoon mid cook and still get read.
I had planned on getting this soon after the KK arrived, however, haven’t really need it yet as I gain confidence in understanding my temperature settings.
I’ll probably buy one this month as our sports season is opening back up- rugby training starts tonight...... only 3 months late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HokieBen said:

It sounds like @ckreef has the original meater, I’ve read about all the issues reported with the first model. I’ve been using the meater + version and I love it, great results and really easy to use. Love that I don’t have to worry about wires hanging all over the grill. 

I’ve used it with long 12+ hour brisket cooks, quick high temp steak cooks (below 500 F) and stuff in between, always great results. 

I love that I can monitor from my phone too, using the cloud feature. I can be at the store or at a friends and keep an eye on my slow cook at home. 

Just my two cents, works great for me. 

I have a Meater+. Long story short I was a very early backer in the Kickstarter. The Kickstarter could be described as a disaster at best so I settled for their offer of 2 Meater+ units. 

My opinion is tainted but still if you're willing to deal with wires, Thermoworks has much better units. 

• Thanks 1

Like ckreef, I was an original Kickstarter backer. I've had better experiences with Kickstarter campaigns, and a couple that have been much, much worse. They eventually produced a product. Granted the original version wasn't very good (had lots of connection problems), but they solved that with the + model. They offered us a cheap upgrade and I took it. I consider it just another tool in the box. Great for what I bought it for (roti cooks). Rarely use it for anything else, as the Maverick and Guru work just fine on static cooks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AJR said:

Looked into this. I was thinking about backing it, but the Campaign just closed, so I was shut out. The only thing that concerned me is the upper limit on the internal meat temperature is only 185F. That's good enough for poultry cooks, it's a bit on the low side for pork butts and beef briskets/chuck roasts. 

• Like 1

We received the new FireBoard 2 Drive last week and had a great first smoke (pork shoulder).  It provides some interesting insights into our new KK (heat spikes in the middle of the night).   The software and graphs are intuitive.  After a  16 hour cook still had 86% battery and never lost WiFi connection.   Ordered the BBQ Guru fan and will try a brisket this weekend.  

54EBD3A3-A44E-42BC-8B09-EF20B61A32F1.jpeg

• Like 4