StevenS

Howdy from Southwest Florida

My wife and I just moved to Florida from NJ, leaving behind a BB32. I loved the grill and made some really delicious foods on it, including a suckling pig, but I must admit that I never really mastered the art of low and slow. I’m hoping to correct that. Just ordered a 23 Ultimate in black pebble and I can’t wait for it to get here. I ended up with the 23 instead of the 32 because it fits into my general push towards downsizing, and also because I never really needed all the grill space (other than the pig).  Hoping I didn’t choose wrong. Here is a picture of my former blue beast (smoking in the background) and the pig. Have to say that I love this forum - you folks are awesome!

1D9C1B45-328A-48E8-9047-181E9E5CC591.thumb.jpeg.190594e073cd50506720609770ec7770.jpeg

• Like 10

And yes - "sold" the 32, but had to do so in a rush, so I gave it away for a song.  Thankfully, the new owner is very happy, so while my bank account took yet another hit, the karma is through the roof, so I've got that going for me...

• Like 5

Update - KK has shipped.  That's the good news.  The bad news is it won't get here until the 26th, at the earliest.  And in the meantime, I can't stop drooling over the amazing food in the Everyday Misc Cooking Photos.  

Stupid question, is it ever ok to cook with the top open?  Any issue with doing so?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troble said:

I have dreams of attempting a pig one day. How did you cook that bad boy?

I’d love to be able to tell you that I cooked it at 225 for 10 hours and then wrapped it in butcher paper (need to try that), but the sad truth is we had our usual crew over for Memorial Day and were feeling no pain by noon.  I probably lit too much charcoal and the temp went right past 225 on its way to 350. Pig was done in a few hours, and despite my ineptitude, it came out really great. Skin was crispy and the meat was really moist - kudos to KK.  My wife and her friend even ate the snout. She’s a big fan of cartilage. The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. I would highly recommend it. I’ve seen your posts and you are quite a cook, I’m sure you would nail it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, StevenS said:

I’d love to be able to tell you that I cooked it at 225 for 10 hours and then wrapped it in butcher paper (need to try that), but the sad truth is we had our usual crew over for Memorial Day and were feeling no pain by noon.  I probably lit too much charcoal and the temp went right past 225 on its way to 350. Pig was done in a few hours, and despite my ineptitude, it came out really great. Skin was crispy and the meat was really moist - kudos to KK.  My wife and her friend even ate the snout. She’s a big fan of cartilage. The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. I would highly recommend it. I’ve seen your posts and you are quite a cook, I’m sure you would nail it. 

I love everything about this post.

• Like 3

There are two things on my mind tonight and I’m fairly certain that the only ones who will truly understand are my newfound KKforum friends.

First - my 23 ultimate is being delivered tomorrow!  Very exciting. And to my list of recent purchases I’ve added a pair of welders gloves and a Daltrong chef’s apron. Highly recommended. It has a little crest on it. I’ve always wanted to wear a little crest. Brings a tear to my eye.

And second - a bit of a rant. You people are totally crazy.  This site is highly addictive and may ultimately lead to my downfall. After reading about binchotan charcoal and Kongo grills I had to have it. Shipment coming from Japan in a few weeks. Fair warning, my wife holds @tekobo personally responsible. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Woo hoo @StevenS. I would love an apron with a crest.  And decent gloves.  Oh yeah, that 23 ultimate sounds like good fun too.  You know the drill.  Pix!

As for the binchotan and konro grill?  You won't regret it. Not one little bit.  Although it sounds like I might, if I meet your wife.  🤗

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

Woo hoo @StevenS. I would love an apron with a crest.  And decent gloves.  Oh yeah, that 23 ultimate sounds like good fun too.  You know the drill.  Pix!

As for the binchotan and konro grill?  You won't regret it. Not one little bit.  Although it sounds like I might, if I meet your wife.  🤗

I have no doubt I'm going to love the combo of the Konro & bichotan.  When I first got my former KK  I tried to convince a friend to get one as well.  He opted to go with an Argentinian-style grill made by Grillworks (42 CRE).  We cooked on it a couple times without having a clue what we were doing and consumed a breathtaking amount of firewood in the process.  The third time I was over he had wagyu steaks from Lobells and I said "Let's throw them on the grill!" He shrugged.  I asked "Are you not happy with the grill?" He shrugged again.  "It uses too much wood and is too much work, do you want it?"  You don't have to ask me a question like that twice.  I rented a uhaul truck and drove it from Boston back to my home in NJ.  Came to learn that you needn't wait until the wood is reduced to coals to begin the cook - once lit you can pretty much start right away.  Been enjoying it ever since.  Perfect accompaniment to the KK.  

I ordered a medium wide Konro, which will fit in one of the charcoal bays of the Grillworks, this way I can use the adjustable grate height to be able to cook thicker steaks & chops above the fire.  Love the fact that the binchotan doesn't flare up much.  

• Like 1

Wow that set up sounds great @StevenS. I look forward to seeing photos when you get your konro installed.  Finding a way to extinguish and re-use the binchotan is key.  It is a precious resource - financially, culturally and environmentally - and I feel honoured to have the opportunity to use it.