PaulW

Thinking about a 22 TT

Hi.  Just spent my last winter in Buffalo (it finally ended in the middle of May) and I'm heading south to Southwest FL in August.  I've been happily cooking on a Primo XL oval for the last 15 years.  I've decided to pass that on to my budding BBQ chef son and treat myself to a KK.  I've beed drooling over them for years now and this move is my opportunity/excuse.

I'm usually just cooking for me, sometimes a friend or 2 and occasionally a larger party.  After a conversation with Dennis, it looks like the 22 TT is my best bet.  

My biggest concern is getting it to where it needs to be.  It's going to end up on the screened in lanai behind my house.  The only access to the lanai either through a screen door at top of 3 steps or through the triple slider inside the house. If I take it through the house, it'll need to get up the 3 steps and through the front door, then over the ceramic tile floor.

Any creative input would be appreciated.   

Thanks!

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1087.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

• Like 3

Do you have help with moving it? If not, any universities with ROTC programs nearby? I’ve found that a small bribe to ROTC cadets can help with moves like this. Seems like those 3 steps directly to the screened patio would be your best bet, provided you have help.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I absolutely love the cobalt. Deciding between the pebble and square tile versions.
As far as accessories, I’ll definitely need the basket splitter, and maybe a second basket. I’m used to only lighting half a firebox in my Primo and I typically reverse sear my steaks and cook a bunch of things indirect. I’ll need to get a feel for how 2 zone cooking will work in this beast.

Wondering about using the warming grate to cook indirect.

I’ll also grab the lower grate as well for sous vide sears as well as drip pan holder for low and slows.

Debating the hot/cold smoke generator vs just tossing some wood chunks on the coals vs some type of wood basket/foil pouch for low and slows.

I’ll probably also go with the teak table - it’s gorgeous and functional and can be the center for my outdoor kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

IMG_20190505_155453.thumb.jpg.cb42b8c44e5070b8e1f12854a94c426e.jpg

This is my 22 TT.  It might be best to take off the top first.  We used a pallet jack to lift it to the appropriate height and then moved it back and forth to get it to the right position.  Best of luck.

I just wish Dennis made a bigger TT since I like the aesthetics of a TT.

Edited by lemisfits
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, PaulW said:

As far as accessories, I’ll definitely need the basket splitter, and maybe a second basket. I’m used to only lighting half a firebox in my Primo and I typically reverse sear my steaks and cook a bunch of things indirect.

Definitely get the 2nd basket to go with the splitter. It makes swapping out a breeze. 

Consider the pizza stone and rotisserie option. Make a Syz's dutch oven smoker pot, unless you think that you're going to cold smoke some foods (cheese, fish),  then the smoker attachment is a must. 

Load up the shipping pallet with as much cocochar and coffee wood chunks & charcoal as will fit. 

• Like 2

Thanks for those tips.  I just spent a while reading posts about the Syz's dutch oven.  What a great concept.  I still may go with the smoker attachment as I'll probably play with some smoked fish.  

I'm generally not a rotisserie guy but if I just heat the rear of the KK with he firebox splitter, it might produce some amazing results. (I'm thinking rotisserie duck) There will be a big learning curve from the Primo.  

This forum is chock full of so much great info, I could spend days and days sifting through stuff.  Man-O-Man, this is gonna be a long 3 months!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lemisfits said:

IMG_20190505_155453.thumb.jpg.cb42b8c44e5070b8e1f12854a94c426e.jpg

This is my 22 TT.  It might be best to take off the top first.  We used a pallet jack to lift it to the appropriate height and then moved it back and forth to get it to the right position.  Best of luck.

I just wish Dennis made a bigger TT since I like the aesthetics of a TT.

That's a great idea.  

You've got a great setup!  Is that stone or concrete?  

Argh.. a larger Table Top.. This one is already difficult enough to move around the factory during production!

BTW I'm in the process of making teak removable counter fillers.. something like the left side here..
This is only a photoshop-ed mockup.  The idea is to fill the square hole in counters.

c488f27fe5ddf6257912d60d15be4597b3afb3963b87d98833714c495ac5d94d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PaulW said:

Wondering about using the warming grate to cook indirect.

I’ll also grab the lower grate as well for sous vide sears as well as drip pan holder for low and slows.

Debating the hot/cold smoke generator vs just tossing some wood chunks on the coals vs some type of wood basket/foil pouch for low and slows.

I’ll probably also go with the teak table - it’s gorgeous and functional and can be the center for my outdoor kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will want the warming grate for 2-level 2 zone cooking, and as the name suggests, warming.  😊

The teak tables are incredibly well built.  I did a bonehead move and very slightly split one of the wood planks a quarter inch.  I had a woodworking buddy of mine secure and shim the wood for a couple of days.  Looks good as new, but I had to order a replacement despite Dennis’ encouragement not to.  My OCD couldn’t handle knowing it was there.

If I could go back I’d have ordered the smoke generator for both of my KKs, but I too built one of @Syzygies smoke pots and it works amazingly well.  He stated his wife won’t let him smoke food without it, and I have to agree with that wholeheartedly.

Also, I did not follow the advice of many forum members and neglected to purchase a second basket.  Big mistake.  It’s a PITA moving the coal aside when reducing the basket, and it’d be nice to have different types of coal in each basket.  I could use one basket with coco char for low and slow cooks, and the basket with the splitter for 2-zone and searing.

Good luck with your purchase.  Dennis makes it easy and painless.  Just try to be patient awaiting it’s arrival... That’s easier said than done!

• Like 3

Hey there @PaulW.  I would definitely get the smoke generator and the rotisserie.  They will expand your options considerably.  I don't have a second basket and this brings me to an important point - storage.  You really need somewhere to store all the extra grates and other kit when not in use.  If you don't have other arrangements I would consider buying a cabinet from Dennis.  I have not seen the need for a spare basket and you will need it less when you get your second KK and can have one in one configuration and the other in another.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

You really need somewhere to store all the extra grates and other kit when not in use.  If you don't have other arrangements I would consider buying a cabinet from Dennis. 

The vast majority of my cooks will be 2 zone, so the second basket will save lots of PITA time with conversions.

I'll probably order the teak table for the 22 TT.  It looks like it has a decent amount of storage.  3 shelves and the drawer underneath the cooker (I can't just call it a grill or a smoker.)    

So ... if I end up with the lower grate (will usually live inside the cooker), the warming grate (the description says there's a grate hanger), the roti, the spare basket with the splitter, and the smoke generator, would that table have enough room?  Anyone have experience with it? 

Also for the roti, any feedback on the spit vs the basket?  Also feedback for the grate grabbers?

Thanks, this conversation is not only helping my decisions, it's also helping my mental state during the wait.  

• Like 2