ChiKing

Tricks to know a KK is still burning wood in there?

Hi all,

I have been working on my kk smoking and briskets. This morning I hit my target temp of 225 but of course I did not factor in the sun coming up so it’s around 237. No issue and a good not for next time. 

I know my kk is still lit in the firebox, or at least I think so as I opened it up some to see if it would rise. It went up 4 degrees over 5 minutes so I assume yes. But I can’t see smoke?

how do you all know it’s still lit? Or am I doing something wrong that I don’t see any. I was open about 1/4-1/3 turn on top and the first hash on the bottom. 

• Like 1

What brand/type of charcoal are you burning? Some kinds don't give off a lot of smoke. At a 1/4 turn on the top and just about any size opening on the bottom vent, you shouldn't have any concerns about the fire going out. 

Like I preached in another thread - DON'T CHASE THE TEMPERATURES! You're not going to tell any difference in the final outcome being off 12F. Anything within 50F of target (+/- 25F) is generally not a problem on most cooks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tony b said:

What brand/type of charcoal are you burning? Some kinds don't give off a lot of smoke. At a 1/4 turn on the top and just about any size opening on the bottom vent, you shouldn't have any concerns about the fire going out. 

Like I preached in another thread - DON'T CHASE THE TEMPERATURES! You're not going to tell any difference in the final outcome being off 12F. Anything within 50F of target (+/- 25F) is generally not a problem on most cooks. 

Totally agree on temp. My brisket is at 175 right now so 250 does not bother at all. Everyone advised to get fogo wood so using that with some cherry in there. 

My old smoker would for sure go out of it got snuffed but if a quarter turn will work, it’s just confidence then. Of course I am thinking it could go out and still finish as the heat will stay. 

thanks. 

• Like 1

Are you using any other probes Chi?
I have moments where you can’t see smoke or the heat wave coming out of low cooks. I’ll check the Meater for ambient oven temp tracking and all times it tracks a steady rate. Other internal probes can also track this.
At a quarter turn my KK holds around 280f over a long time and no fear of snuffing. 1/8 open top flue is where it’s on the edge of snuffing out, or can hold temps around 210f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Basher said:

Are you using any other probes Chi?
I have moments where you can’t see smoke or the heat wave coming out of low cooks. I’ll check the Meater for ambient oven temp tracking and all times it tracks a steady rate. Other internal probes can also track this.
At a quarter turn my KK holds around 280f over a long time and no fear of snuffing. 1/8 open top flue is where it’s on the edge of snuffing out, or can hold temps around 210f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, put probe is good, temp is holding and brisket is cooking. I smell a bit of smoke flavor. But not a lick of tendrils. I either have some weird fogo wood chucks or, ........  in just getting old. 

• Haha 1

Well, got to say. It worked. After a while I could see the smoke again. It must have been the piece of wood it was on. Either way, super consistent temperature as everyone knows. Honestly, the easiest Smoker to use. 

such a good brisket. Photos below. 

EE39688C-42D6-4691-8193-266B20683336.jpeg

ADDB7E8B-9C39-40F0-AF4A-89AC2080EA13.jpeg

A6EB73E8-1673-43D1-B108-7C8E9CF5DD65.jpeg

• Like 8