BARDSLJR

Beef ribs- today's cook

I was really pleased. They are not cheap- the three racks in the photo were probably $90 at the butcher's (Oliver's, a local treasure in Denver on 6th Ave)- but the results were worth it. My three grandchildren ages 13 (twins) and 10, thought they were so good that they came over after dinner last night to tell us how much they liked them and visit with us for a bit. Always a treat.....

As an aside, we used some of the leftover scraps of beef ribs and some leftover week-old pork ribs , chopped up, added to a couple of cans of high quality black beans, and served over rice. It was magnificent...... Recipe:

Take leftover smoked meat...could be any kind- pork, beef, lamb, chicken...

Saute' 1/2 chopped large onion, several pods of garlic (use your own discretion....) until translucent.

Add two (12oz) cans high quality black beans

Add any scraps of smoked meat you have left around

Add one 12 oz can chopped tomatoes

Warm over low heat for about two hours

Remove from heat and season ....seasoning  could include cumin, fresh lime juice, cayenne pepper, etc.

Serve over good rice (Zataraine's for me) and season with some hot sauce (Crystal, Louisiana or Texas Pete's or whatever is your favorite. )

Get ready for some really good eating, costing almost nothing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's straight up Cuban cooking there - Moros y Cristianos (Moors & Christians). As you said - cheap, easy, and really good! I buy cans of black beans at CostCo by the case. If I'm being lazy, buy a bag of Vigo - even easier and almost as good. I like to do a "drunken" version, toss some rum in with the beans (light or dark, both work)

https://vigofoods.com/catalog/product/2099/vigo-black-beans-rice

My local supermarket carries their stuff. I try and keep a bag in the pantry for "emergencies!"

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

Yes, these were Costco "organic" black beans....I hadn't thought of using rum, but that would give it an interesting sweet/umami substrate. Contrast well with smoky and hot flavors from the barbecue. Great idea, thanks!

Maybe I get it from my years growing up in Miami, and all the Cuban guys in my seminary class, but I've always thought black beans had a great flavor.

• Thanks 1

Denver reminded me a lot like Perth pretty layed back .had a great time there .the theme park in the middle of the city was kewl .plus the cows and pianos

I was really pleased. They are not cheap- the three racks in the photo were probably $90 at the butcher's (Oliver's, a local treasure in Denver on 6th Ave)- but the results were worth it. My three grandchildren ages 13 (twins) and 10, thought they were so good that they came over after dinner last night to tell us how much they liked them and visit with us for a bit. Always a treat.....
As an aside, we used some of the leftover scraps of beef ribs and some leftover week-old pork ribs , chopped up, added to a couple of cans of high quality black beans, and served over rice. It was magnificent...... Recipe:
Take leftover smoked meat...could be any kind- pork, beef, lamb, chicken...
Saute' 1/2 chopped large onion, several pods of garlic (use your own discretion....) until translucent.
Add two (12oz) cans high quality black beans
Add any scraps of smoked meat you have left around
Add one 12 oz can chopped tomatoes
Warm over low heat for about two hours
Remove from heat and season ....seasoning  could include cumin, fresh lime juice, cayenne pepper, etc.
Serve over good rice (Zataraine's for me) and season with some hot sauce (Crystal, Louisiana or Texas Pete's or whatever is your favorite. )
Get ready for some really good eating, costing almost nothing.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

We lived in Salt Lake City for 16 years before moving here to Denver to retire and be closer to family (grandchildren and their parents). We loved Salt Lake- it is an easy place to live and it is beautiful there, but Denver, as they say "does not suck", overall. Traffic is more of a challenge here, but on the other hand, it is a much larger environment and marketplace, and you can find anything here if you are willing to put in the work and look for it. It says something that the two top-rated cities in the US in the polls for desirability are (1) Austin ( it must be the barbecue!) and Denver (barbecue is getting much better here!).

I hope to visit your part of the world at some point when travel is reasonable again.

• Like 1