AJR

Prime Rib without Roti?

I am a lover of Prime Rib, and want to try doing one in a few weeks on the 23.  However I did not purchase the Roti setup.  Has anyone done a Prime Rib without a Roti, and if so, how did it go?  Any pointers?  Is it even possible to do and have it turn out well?

Thanks!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AJR said:

I am a lover of Prime Rib, and want to try doing one in a few weeks on the 23.  However I did not purchase the Roti setup.  Has anyone done a Prime Rib without a Roti, and if so, how did it go?  Any pointers?  Is it even possible to do and have it turn out well?

Thanks!

While I think it would be great on the rotisserie, I've never done it that way. A good sear and cooked to your level of doneness can be accomplished without it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tony b said:

003.thumb.JPG.2863475d9ec2d1c673bf484d4208a499.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.1909a80b7a628b3666f66137801d84ea.JPG

Does that answer your question??

I did initially sear it off in a cast iron skillet before putting it on the KK to roast. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47664208da407bac9345

Oh man, does it ever.  That looks fantastic.  Any tips or particular recipe you like?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was a 4.5 lb, 2-bone roast. Dry aged in the fridge for 2 days, rubbed with my own spin on the Coffee Cardamom rub (Dizzy Pig Red Eye & Raising the Steaks, with ground black cardamom, and espresso powder added) and marinated overnight.

001.thumb.JPG.fc78dc4535829fa420d2ae87b8e9bde4.JPG

I've also done them with a more traditional rub - ground coriander seeds, celery seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, white pepper and fresh cracked black pepper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree with what Tony said - very straightforward and easy to get great results.  

Another option is the reverse sear method.   Indirect at 250-275f until it is 110-125f (to preference on doneness), then pull it and tent it and open the vents for 500f, then sear for the crust and to get the last 10 degrees.  Any dry rub of choice if you want to put some smoke on it during the low/indirect phase.  Sometimes we dry rub, sometimes we do a horseradish/herb/salt crust.  For larger crowds I have used this method to hit different target temps on 3 different roasts at the same time.  Sorry no cook pictures.  

827BA420-00D4-4AAA-997A-44BEE885D8CE.jpeg

• Like 5

I have done several prime ribs on the KK (non-rotisserie) using a reverse sear using a method similar to those described by Mcjudsten and tony b.

Dry rub the roast (usually 6 - 7 pounds, boneless) and refrigerate overnight. Smoke (I use cherry and apple, either chunks or the cold/hot smoker) on the main grate at 200° - 225° F until internal temp reaches 112° (about 3 hours), then pull and open KK vent to achieve 500°. Sear all 6 sides on lowest sear grate, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Internal temp will be about 120° - 124° depending on how how much searing is done. Pull roast, wrap with foil and towel, and let rest in a cooler until desired serving temperature is achieved, 30 - 45 minutes. Very straightforward and delicious.

Here are a couple pics of the last one:

622398799_PrimeRib2.thumb.jpg.6eb598c24f3821ea44b29acdadf650b0.jpg

893544125_PrimeRib3Carved.thumb.jpg.a9c2f80a11aa44b93a5778bbce6031f8.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jonj said:

I have done several prime ribs on the KK (non-rotisserie) using a reverse sear using a method similar to those described by Mcjudsten and tony b.

Dry rub the roast (usually 6 - 7 pounds, boneless) and refrigerate overnight. Smoke (I use cherry and apple, either chunks or the cold/hot smoker) on the main grate at 200° - 225° F until internal temp reaches 112° (about 3 hours), then pull and open KK vent to achieve 500°. Sear all 6 sides on lowest sear grate, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Internal temp will be about 120° - 124° depending on how how much searing is done. Pull roast, wrap with foil and towel, and let rest in a cooler until desired serving temperature is achieved, 30 - 45 minutes. Very straightforward and delicious.

That may be the prettiest prime rib I have ever seen. Love that crust!