HokieBen

Ole Heavy Finally Home

Thanks Tony! Burn in is going well but I have to say this is not my favorite thing to do. He was all pretty and shiny and now there are the white streaks all over. I tried getting them off as I saw them but I’m going to have quite a bit of cleanup after this is done. 

1 hour ago, HokieBen said:

Thanks Tony! Burn in is going well but I have to say this is not my favorite thing to do. He was all pretty and shiny and now there are the white streaks all over. I tried getting them off as I saw them but I’m going to have quite a bit of cleanup after this is done. 

Don't sweat it too much. It is pretty easy to get it back to sparkly.

• Like 1

Happy Fathers Day to all you dad’s out there!

Today I’m stepping it up a bit since I’m getting more comfortable controlling ole heavy. I’ve done a little wings cook and then burgers last night (were amazing), but today I’m planning on reverse searing these thick cut ribeyes we picked up. Dusted with Himalayan salt over night and they’re looking perfect. 

Thinking about finishing with a bleu cheese crumble topping but I may just go with a nice butter baste. 

My plan is to have splitter at 50% and lower grate in for the sear at the end. Or, maybe the top grate upside down to get closer to coals? Gotta look at distance and get a feel for what looks like a better idea. I’ll probably use my half grate to get steaks up to temp before the final sear. 

So that’s my Father’s Day dinner plan. If you guys have any suggestions on my setup before going into it I’ll all ears. 

FDC35F3F-D887-4B9F-A0DA-7048A9A9495C.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HokieBen said:

My plan is to have splitter at 50% and lower grate in for the sear at the end. Or, maybe the top grate upside down to get closer to coals? Gotta look at distance and get a feel for what looks like a better idea. I’ll probably use my half grate to get steaks up to temp before the final sear. 

Similar to what I plan - I plan to use the splitter toward the back, half grate up high and searing (top) grate right over the coals for steaks. Haven’t tested it yet, but that should allow for bringing the steak up to temp using the higher rack, then searing the heck out of it right at the end.  I’ll probably experiment with using a cast iron pan for butter/Worcestershire basting vs directly over the coals.

• Like 3

My setup for this afternoon. Interesting, half grate made for left side so I flipped it for the right side. I think this should do the trick for a nice reverse sear. Love how I can use diff zones and multiple levels, this is all new for me. 

38357A41-44CB-48BA-B4CE-0FD39F32C717.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AJR said:

Similar to what I plan - I plan to use the splitter toward the back, half grate up high and searing (top) grate right over the coals for steaks. Haven’t tested it yet, but that should allow for bringing the steak up to temp using the higher rack, then searing the heck out of it right at the end.  I’ll probably experiment with using a cast iron pan for butter/Worcestershire basting vs directly over the coals.

I've been trying different methods for that final sear and I think I like the cast iron option best. Much better control.

• Like 3

@HokieBen, the colour combination of the gold with blue is stunning.

I have a question / reassurance.

I'm hoping my 32" will arrive in the next 2-3 weeks - it's currently off the coast of France heading for Rotterdam before turning South and heading for Southampton here in the UK.

I was hoping to get a posse of friends together to help with uncrating and moving it (on the flat but a couple of corners and bits of lawn) but we are now under strict lockdown here and it is just me and my wife and possibly a semi grown up daughter.

I see you successfully uncrated with a family of four - do you think it's doable with just the two ( or possibly three) of us ?

Can one person manoeuvre it on plywood ?

Many Thanks,

RD