tekobo

Getting my Goat - Not?

The standing joke round here has been that you get a live goat when you buy a 42" KK.  That trope was started courtesy of a video that Dennis(?) posted of a live goat jumping out of a 42.  I was supposed to be saving for a 42.  Until now. 

Lockdown has turned us all into shoppers and  when I casually mentioned that I might be in the market to sell my KKs, two local friends showed an interest.  One of them has committed to buying my 21 but will be waiting until her kitchen re-model is done so that means I won't be KK-less if I manage to sell the 23.  

So.  What shall I buy?  I have room for one 42, two 32's or a 32 and pretty much every other size of grill that is not a 42.  I am keen to find out what your dream set up is or would be if you had the chance to start over, having had the pleasure of a KK or two in your life.  Answers on a post card or, more conveniently, in this thread please.  

• Like 3

I bought mine and posted recently.  32" BB and 23" Ultimate.  It works for our family, and every family is different, of course.  :)  I just don't need the room of the 42" and anything smaller than the 23" can't handle the quantity of protein I want to use on it. 

• Like 2

Thanks all.  We always say that no one ever regrets buying a KK and that is true for me.  However, i am like @AJR and I want every size in every colour.  Not all at the same time but available to me when I need each, for the perfect cook.  The next best thing is to swap them out over time, having learned what I need the most.  

So far The Husband has vetoed the comes with a goat kk.  Too big.  He is right.  Like Mac, my dream set up was a 32 and a 22 TT.  We started to investigate the size of the 22TT and realised it was really about the same as 23, just without the convenience of legs and wheels to help with moving its great weight around.  Given we are not looking to build it in, it seems a little silly to get the 22TT even though I have hankered after one for a while and 22 is my lucky number.

Current options are to get a 32 and keep my current 23.  Or to ring the changes with colours and buy a new 32 and 23.  A new option is coming to the fore and I would appreciate views from anyone who owns one: the 19TT L'il Isla.  Thinking this KK, on the metal trolley that Dennis supplies, could be a good everyday option alongside the 32.  Smaller grates to clean and a cute, wheel about option.  Lousy idea?  We also have the large Argentinian BBQ for grilling so a smaller KK could work well.  

Ooooh.  The best bit is I getting the rush of excitement that KK decisions bring.  Wooo.  Hooo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Realistically, I plan to add a 32 to my 23 at some point when I can convince the Mrs...something tells me I may need to sacrifice the 23 in order to get the 32. Until that day, I’ll just have to make due with the awesomeness that is the Ultimate 23.  I still have my gasser for when I need to do a lot of burgers/steaks.

Edited by AJR
  • Like 3

To be honest, I've been perfectly happy with my 23" and never considered a 2nd KK. Back in the day when I had the POSK, I did get the small Grill Dome, thinking I'd waste less charcoal cooking smaller meals on it than the bigger one. Since I've owned the KK, which is about the same size as the old one, I never use the baby Grill Dome. Also, at the time that I bought my 23", it was the biggest one that Dennis made. 

All things considered, I'd probably stick with my single 23," but I do appreciate the versatility of the 32".

• Like 4

The good and the bad news is that I am in the throes of KK indecision.  What size, what colour, what do you guys say, what does Dennis say, what does The Husband think???  On and on it goes.  A great pleasure at this stage because all the options in all the colours are available.  And a great pain because I really ought to be thinking about other things.  Like working to pay  for them!

• Haha 3

So, this forum is great.  You knew that right?

I read @Mcjudsten's post and was trying to remember what KK he had. I went to his home page and found that he already owns a cobalt blue 42.  No sign of a goat.  Interesting that he is planning on a 16 for his second KK.  I clicked on one of his posts and it took me to this thread:

The title says it is about the 16TT but it contains  a lot of good information about the 19TT as well.  It seems like all the best people have a 19 TT.🤪

I have been corresponding with @MacKenzie about my choice (she's a great accomplice, gives her opinion but then waits for my latest swing of mood) and also with @Braai-Q.  I "assisted" him with his decision to add a 32KK to his arsenal and not get rid of his first KK and he is now returning the favour.  I had forgotten that his second KK is a 19. In fact a 19TT, so he has the combo that I am considering.  He kindly sent me photos and measured up to see if I can get my custom table fitted between the 19TT on the standard trolley and the 32.  It appears not but I will get in touch with Dennis to see what is possible.

So, have I made my decision?  Errr no. I have flirted with tile. :smt096  I am still flirting with tile.  I am liking the idea of little grates on the 19 that can be cleaned easily in our kitchen sink.  I am liking the idea of the less imposing and slightly more  portable 19TT on a wheely stand, given I will need to get in to maintain the flower border behind it.  Did I say I am also a hypocrite? I won't sign up to social media like instagram but I have spent the last few days using The Husband's instagram account, looking carefully at every KK on Dennis' instagram feed.  So many great choices. And the best bit?  I get to bother Dennis at 2am his time.  Such fun talking to him.  Almost there, but I won't rush it.  This is almost the best bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow, Tekobo I knew you were opening Pandora’s box with this post.
I watched and thought, plenty of peeps will have something to say before I added my tuppence.
Here are my thoughts.
I enjoy my 23” and occasionally think a 32” would be useful, and occasionally a smaller, mobile KK would be useful.
The 42” is beautiful, and boastful, And an engineering feat, however, I don’t see that i could use this more than once a year for a big cook up.
Most cooks for a family and friends of 4- 10 can be managed on 19”- 23”,
Conservation of charcoal and heat management plays a part in my selection and would then consider a high dome 19” and a a 32” if I had space for 2 KK’s.
Otherwise, I’m happy with my 23”.
2 zone cooking, 23” can handle this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Basher said:

Wow, Tekobo I knew you were opening Pandora’s box with this post.

Naaaa.  It's been great.  I has reminded me how different everyone's circumstances are and how I need to trust my instincts about what will work best for me. One day I may end up with @alimac23's two 32 dream team but not in this garden. As it stands, my 23 is not sold yet so the end game could be a new 32 and my existing 23.  Which would seem eminently sensible but I am not always sensible.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is a wet and dismal day where I live in England.  I looked out of the window at my KKs, looking gorgeous and cheering the scene up.  I feel bad about even thinking about parting with them.  They were a birthday present from The Husband so I felt I had to ask his permission to sell them on.  He was fine with that because he thought I should have got a 32 and 16 the first time around in any case.  I am almost set with my decision about which KKs to get next but these two, dear Milk and Meat, are tugging at my heartstrings.  

8EACB1D0-A676-4F99-95F9-F5D4EA70CB7E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.961ee66117a988789712ba4b8e21fab4.jpeg

• Like 4

It’s nice to have a rainy day every now and then Tekobo.
BUT, this was our morning on the Brunswick River.
3208f3addb440c8459ca34e07a358ec7.jpg
And this was our evening at South Golden Beach.
b932d3b3f49724db09177b5c7ddb58bc.jpg
With a full moon tonight.
If I get a second KK, it’ll live at the beach house. I struggled last night to cook on an unfamiliar gas bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4