tekobo

Getting my Goat - Not?

17 hours ago, Basher said:

I struggled last night to cook on an unfamiliar gas bbq.

I too had to suffer through this horrible situation tonight . I feel like I will be haunted by this until I can get home and hug my KK again (tomorrow).

But at least the Aloha chicken turned out great. Can’t wait to try the recipe on the KK.

(no clue why the forum rotated the photo)

7D2992C0-2777-4EA1-A763-BB9D9C0F14E8.jpeg

Edited by AJR
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hey there @Basher, what a beautiful scene!  I can cope with rain in such beautiful surroundings.  

Here, rain or no, I cooked dinner on the KKs last night.  The friends who are going to buy the 21 came to dinner and I showed them how to work the KK.  It was a joy to demonstrate how easy it is to make good food.  The husband of the pair is going to be the cook and he, happily, claims to be OCD and will be  joining the clean grate club.  We roasted a suckling pig leg on the 21.  Beautifully thin and crispy skin, like the top of a creme brulee.

IMG_7654D.thumb.jpeg.84934894363d9d48c53685dbf4548cea.jpeg

I warmed up the vegetarian stew that they brought on the 23 and followed that with some gooseberry clafoutis.

IMG_7655D.thumb.jpeg.82a85c3e0b8ba7899c78f3ac84e85523.jpeg

Yum

IMG_7657D.thumb.jpeg.a45824031793b2488557149adc245f29.jpeg

Glad to have drawn someone new into the KK circle.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 6

That ice cream has started the salivating glands working over time. :smt055 :smt060 :-D

Chalk one up for a grate cleaner. :grin: I had steak last week that was cooker on a grate from a gasser and I'm sure the last 10 years of grilling was still on the grates, my steak tasted like it. :(

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3

Know what you mean lol a bit like over cooked snags and still raw in the middle.lol

That ice cream has started the salivating glands working over time. :smt055 :smt060 :-D

Chalk one up for a grate cleaner. :grin: I had steak last week that was cooker on a grate from a gasser and I'm sure the last 10 years of grilling was still on the grates, my steak tasted like it. 

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

@tekobo .it's a hard call .I'm in a position that I could order a 32 .but would have to sell my 23 not that I have to but having two would be over kill for my needs .

Hey Aussie, if you ever do decide to sell your 23, let me know, I know a guy in Perth whose been looking at one for ages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Though I think a 32 would be great my 23 is perfect for Dee and I . But you never know .I'm just sitting back at the momment. Waiting to see how the world turns out .at the end of the year .

Hey Aussie, if you ever do decide to sell your 23, let me know, I know a guy in Perth whose been looking at one for ages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was left unsupervised last week, for about an hour before The Husband woke up, and I placed my order for three KKs.   No goat.  I will be getting a 32, 23 and a 16TT.  It took me two days  to tell The Husband.  A friend asked if we would be replacing the two KKs with one large one and I casually said "no, three".  The Husband rolled his eyes but is, happily, OK  with my folly.  

I am soooo excited.  When I was first choosing my current KKs @ckreef went on about needing more than one cooker so that you could get all the elements of your meal ready at the same time.  At the time, as someone who didn't bbq very often, I thought that was ridiculous.  Now that most of our entertaining is in the garden I really appreciate the value of being able to cook everything outdoors and now fire both KKs up much more often.  The 16 is going to be great for sides, some low and slow and also for using in the depths of winter when I just want a quick cook.  Yay.  Only trouble is that it took another week to confirm colour so I will probably be lucky if my new KKs get to me here in the UK before November.  I shall enjoy the anticipation. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Ah.  Colour.  @Tucker's example of having a number of different KKs in tile and pebble and then ending up with a classy pair of KKs in the same colour pebble seemed like a good one to follow.  

I did have a long and deep dalliance with tiles because I thought I would see if Dennis could build me a KK with a different range of tiles.  My advice to anyone who thinks they want to source tiles for their KK is - don't.  Dennis has a precise specification to suit his build requirements and I proposed some ridiculous options that were patently outside spec.  He and I both liked these but they were way too big https://www.mondomosaico.it/prodotto/piastrella-pop-art/ .  Some of you might say they are also too vulgar.   I tried my Italian out on the company that sells these https://www.appianimosaic.com/mosaic-colors-tiles/ceramic-glazes-with-matt-finish-tiles but their tiles were too thick.  I also talked to traditional English tile makers about cutting tiles but all their custom tiles were too thick.  In the end I found a company in the UK with the exact spec that Dennis requires but a limited range of colours because they use them for swimming pools.  I fell about laughing and gave up the hunt when I found out that they import their tiles from the same company in Indonesia that Dennis uses. 

I am back in the fold and I chose my three KK colours from Dennis' wide range and I am very very happy with my choice.  You and I will have to wait and see what they look like when they are made up.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tekebo, a quick story. My wife and I were at a yard sale and we came across this bird bath designed with broken plate fragments. The original artist would've placed the plate hidden in a towel and smashed it with a hammer and then the choice pieces would be used. Just thinking...you could order the KK naked and do it yourself, the pattern is random giving you the mosaic look you endear to ( a one of a kind.) However I see you choosing the road more widely traveled and yes Basher, the Pebble is the common denominator here. My guess as the answer to color lays within the fish fresco. For a more accurate prediction I'll have to consult with my qoija board and 8 ball, it's what's best for football bets and picking the next President. Stay tuned. 

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 3

Hey Tyrus, I strayed from the path but I learned that there are reasons that a road is well travelled.  Skilled people tile KKs day in day out to get the finish that we love and would kvetch about if they were not skilled or consistent.  The weight of what you attach to the lid is important.  The lid is an awesome piece of engineering and messing with it by attaching all the heavier tiles that I found online would be a bad idea.  So, here I am, on the well travelled road and I am loving it. Alimac, I am looking forward to Christmas x3.  If it was practical to open one KK box a day I would but I suspect I will be too excited to wait.  Basher, no beans will be spilt here.  Even Mac doesn't know.  Pequod I am going with your combo with a small addition.  Paul was my first friend on the forum and he showed me the limitations of the 16.  He was right that it won't work for me as an only KK but I am really looking forward to it as a quick "go to" KK.  And jonj?  Yes, I do the perfect-combo-dance whenever I think about my choice.  Luckily I have a few months to earn the money to pay for them!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hey Tyrus, I strayed from the path

You the boss, sometime I stray only to shake the box, you know like a Xmas present but, always with good intention.  Your choice is your own and I do believe it will be a comforting surprise. 

• Thanks 1