StevenS

KK issues in the rain...

My KK was delivered today and I'm struggling to find the right home for it.  There is a place on my lanai that's fully covered so the KK would be out of the rain, but I'd need to move it every time I use it.  From a convenience standpoint there's a place just outside the covered area that would be perfect, bu the KK would definitely get rained on.  I'm in SW FL so no concern about freezing.  Question - if I don't want to put a cover on it (for aesthetic reasons), are there any concerns about leaving exposed to the rain?  Has anyone done so for a prolonged period without any issues?  Would definitely appreciate any guidance.

There was a gent in Washington or Oregon recently posting that after ten years his KK exposed to the weather was providing the best service he could imagine and he thanked Dennis explicitly for making something that endured the ages without a cover.  I would buy a cover regardless, I realize no frezzing where your at temps but some covers are attractive. You'll find your way and whatever decision you make living in the sunshine state you'll be safe. Just fill any cracks along the grout as they appear. 

They are made to be in the elements.  Like everything else, that requires maintenance to assure the longest, trouble-free life.  Broken tiles & missing/torn grout needs to be fixed as immediately as achievable to eliminate/reduce water intrusion and it’s potential adverse affects.  That’s not to say they can’t take a beating.  I’ve searched these forums regarding a myriad of topics including grout repair and water intrusion just to name a few.  I came across a post that contained a picture of a KK with a massive amount of missing & torn grout that had evidence of extensive/repetitive water intrusion and evaporation.  It was in otherwise very good condition, intact, and the owner was none the wiser until Dennis saw the picture and asked the owner to contact him as soon as reasonable to eliminate potential water issues.

I occasionally get white marks on my KK after a very hot cook.  I didn't like to ask about them on the forum because I was pretty sure I had done my burn in right and, two and a half years down the line, I wasn't sure that anyone could explain why this was happening.  I took advantage of speaking to Dennis about our planned purchases to ask him about the white marks.  He reckons that leaving my KK uncovered during the wet UK summer means that some moisture is getting in.  Said moisture then exits when I heat the KK up.  No big deal.  Either I need to cover them more during the summer or I need to use the occasional hot cook to burn off the moisture, keeping an eye out for the marks and wiping them if they appear.  I keep them covered in the winter in any case.  Depending on when you get the rain in Florida, @StevenS, you may need to do the same.   

• Like 2

I wondered the same, but live in Arizona, so I don’t have the moisture problem for most of the year.  I’ve sheltered it from the worst of the afternoon sun where I have it positioned and plan to leave it uncovered most of the time unless I leave for an extended vacation/business trip.  I plan to clean it, and use the auto coating that @Wingman505 recommended recently in another thread.

Edited by AJR

10 hours ago, AJR said:

I wondered the same, but live in Arizona, so I don’t have the moisture problem for most of the year.  I’ve sheltered it from the worst of the afternoon sun where I have it positioned and plan to leave it uncovered most of the time unless I leave for an extended vacation/business trip.  I plan to clean it, and use the auto coating that @Wingman505 recommended recently in another thread.

What do you think?  I’m really interested in hearing how you feel it performs on the blue glass tiles.  Use a premium microfiber towel for the best results. Www.theragcompany.com is a great source.  They’re super high quality and the prices are great.  We use them all around the house.

• Thanks 1

I live on the Oregon Coast, we don’t freeze either but average 78 inches of rain a year. I have had my KK in the backyard for 6 years with no problems. I don’t cover it with a Sunbrella cover either because if I covered it here it would get moldy and like you, I like to look at my beautiful KK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1