Adam Ag 98

Shopping - 21 Supreme vs 22 Beast

Howdy all. I'm in Frisco TX and about to build an outdoor kitchen. I'm debating b/w the 21 free-standing vs the 22 that I'd have built on a lowered shelf.

Just my wife and I and sometimes a few friends. I can't imagine ever cooking for more than 10 people at a time. We'll pair with an Evo griddle which will also give me the ability to cook stuff in a pot (i.e. no side-burners needed).

Anyone with experience with both? 

My wife sees the pro of the 21 is if we wanted to move it it's on wheels or if I needed to monkey with something behind it.

We're leaning towards the 21. Anything obvious about the 22 we should consider? Likewise, what are color options if we have one made and are there price differences for colors (other than the standard difference b/w squares and pebbles)?

Thanks

• Like 1

Good questions and I'd suggest a call to Dennis. No one knows them better, he builds them. He is a wealth of information and you can rest assured that you will be getting the best help. He WILL not try to pressure or up sell you. We've pretty much all talked to him and it is well worth the call. :) 

• Like 2

Second what Mac said.  But you can't go wrong with either.  The Evo will be my next outdoor purchase as well (when I either win the lottery, or after I bribe my wife with a Range Rover...somehow), good choice. 

For pots, I've already thrown two different cast-iron pots and one SS pan on the KK.  Works great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Ag 98 said:

My wife sees the pro of the 21 is if we wanted to move it it's on wheels or if I needed to monkey with something behind it.

We're leaning towards the 21. Anything obvious about the 22 we should consider? Likewise, what are color options if we have one made and are there price differences for colors (other than the standard difference b/w squares and pebbles)?

Hi there Adam.  I have a 21, have sold it and was thinking of buying a 22TT because I always liked the look of them and I wanted to have it alongside a new 32.  We looked at the weight of the 22TT and decided that it didn't make any sense at all for us because we don't plan to build it into a set of units AND it will be very difficult to move every time we want to reposition it.  So unless the look of the 22TT is what you need for your ODK design I would go with your wife's view and go for the 21.  

I don't believe that there is any difference in price for different colours as long as you pick a colour that Dennis has available. Worth a chat with him.  I have been looking at his instagram feed to see the different colours that he has used in the past.  Not all will be available but it is a good place to look to see the range.   

• Like 3

Thank you all very much. I'll reach out to Dennis to get started. I love the idea of teh 22TT built in (it would look great where we want it) but I also know it'll be a challenge just getting the 21 there, much less lifting the 22 up.

As the project unfolds I'll be sure to post pics!

Adam

• Like 5

Just to follow-up - signed the PO for the kitchen this week. Despite my wife's budget which was exceeded before adding the KK, she approved! Had a chat w/Dennis to order terra blue but filtering out as many of the tiles with heavy brown edges as possible.

Lead buried - we went w/the 21". 

We could have built a much cooler kitchen setup with bar top, built in KK, etc., but that meant interfering with the view from our home into our backyard/pool area. We spent too much on that area to limit our view to only when we're actually using the pool. At the end of the day we put a small counter w/an EVO and some storage on 1 side of the patio, a small counter w/storage and fridge on the other under our TV. It left room in the middle for our furniture where we already installed speakers, fan, flush in ceiling electric heaters, etc. A kitchen that accommodated the built-in 22 simply ate up to much space.

Bonus w/the 21 as others and my wife said - I can roll the KK out by the pool when I want. It'll mean getting some plywood strips cut to sit on top of the synthetic turf b/w concrete deck pads when rolling, but having it mobile will be a bonus long term. If I can span the deck pads w/out knocking it over or breaking my foot :)

Gotta protect this view! Not the natural beauty so many of you have but this is what's available in suburbia in north texas! 

backnight.PNG

• Like 6

Paid today, expecting it to ship on the next container so ~mid October~ is my guess when it makes it to DFW.

I got a charcoal basket splitter, pizza stone, the rotisserie w/the reducer and motor, grate grabbers, 110lbs of Cocochar and 24lbs of Coffeechar. 

Since I've never cooked on anything other than NG or propane I have no idea how fast I'll go through the char but can't wait to find out if I should have lied to my wife and bought 4x as much :)

Off to the "how to cook" forums!

Edited by Adam Ag 98
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yah! You're going to find that cooking on your new KK will surpass anything you ever did on a gasser. That's a decent amount of cocochar, but you know there's lots of other lump charcoal out there to cook with. We all have our favorites - my current stock is Fogo Quebracho and KJ big block. 

• Like 2

You may want to get a Mapp torch to light that Coco char. It can be a little tougher to light than your common lump but you'll find it does last longer. I ran a mixture of Coco and lump when my Coco was in abundance, right now only one box remains and I'm hoarding it, the lump starts up and spreads to the Coco and no worries.  Good luck to you

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tony b said:

Don't know if I've ever seen a KK with that same color before?

The shadow may cast a out a bit of the color but under the cap the color shines through. Of course you've seen the color Toney,,,,you slip em on everyday...unless you wear a Tux out to the coffee shop. 

DSCF1556.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2020 at 9:29 AM, tony b said:

Very Denim looking tiles. Don't know if I've ever seen a KK with that same color before? Can't wait to see it in its new home! Pics, please!

It is the standard terra blue but they sorted out the tiles with heavy brown edges. Looks similar to the Terra blue On the in stock 19”

the variation in those tiles is significant because the are dark blue to sky blue in the middle but have a splotchy brown ring that sometimes makes up the majority of the tile. Pretty for sure but I wanted more of the tiles without the splotchy brown.

I asked for denim based off of an image search for kks but it is no longer made :)

Edited by Adam Ag 98
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1