Luke

Under grill mat for wood deck?

I have an Ultimate 23" coming this week and am wondering if I should plan on having a mat of some sort to rest the grill on. My deck isn't built yet but it will either be Thermory White Ash or Redwood.

On the one hand I don't want grease and ash to stain the wood, but I also don't want to trap moisture under the mat and have it keep the wood from staying dry. I guess there is also the consideration of the wheels denting the wood over time, perhaps less of an issue with a harder wood like Ipe or Thermory than a softwood like Redwood.

What do people recommend for this?

When I had my deck built, I specifically had them do a 4' x 4' section of the decking in the corner with Ironwood for the grill to sit on. Also had them shorten the span on the joists for the extra weight. While you can scorch Ironwood, it won't burn if a stray coal lands on it. (Main reason that I stopped using the chimney and went to the MAPP torch to light the grill after I did drop a hot coal on it. Sanded the spot out and you can't tell it ever happened.)

• Like 3

I have a friend that bought a home built in the 60's made with t&g redwood long board siding, today it remains as sturdy and attractive as ever.  Placing redwood on the deck floor  may be a mistake, it is considered a soft wood, how about mahogany as a substitute. It lasts well if cared for but, tends to silver with age. Excuse me, I digress, over many years I have used a number of Kamados  sitting on a wooden deck without incident. I have the 23 and feel because of the depth of the fire basket and it's safe enclosure... fire to me has always been a thought but,.never a concern. I also always use a working Mapp torch that undoubtedly helps to contribute greatly to spark production. Let the sparks fall where they may, they generally don't make it to the ground, I worry more about my hair catching fire so wear a hat.  Using a charcoal like Jealous devil that's prone to spark less may be an alternative or you could place inside a fire starter and close the cover and open the vents if so inclined.  Yah, the 23 is a safe unit, you'll notice that right off when you open the lid and those thoughts will melt away. Good luck with your new toy, your gonna love it

• Like 2