yubakram

New 21" Godzilla Egg Owner in AZ

14 new.jpg

Greetings fellow KK Owners and contributors!  In a span of one week went from a disappointed Big KJ3 (backorder until Nov) potential owner to a a real 21" Supreme KK owner.  Discovering KK (Forbes article) and this site after getting my second delayed shipping notice, I scoured the internet, this site among others, spoke with Dennis, ordered and took delivery last night.  The online user manual and KK forum notes made this simple.  I had this small beast unpacked, installed and clean-up by myself (wife was sipping cocktails) within 2 hours.  Look forward to my first use and wondering if there is a good consensus on the first high temp prep that anyone can share.

88new.jpg89new.jpg98 new.jpg02new.jpg11new.jpg

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, yubakram said:

(wife was sipping cocktails)

Essential activity. I approve.

28 minutes ago, yubakram said:

Look forward to my first use and wondering if there is a good consensus on the first high temp prep that anyone can share.

First cook should be what you desire.  Mine was chicken wings.  Do you know if you need to do a burn in or not?  If you do, the manual and this site should give you lots of information.  Welcome!

Congrats, some say while doing a burn-in pizza is the way to go but that doesn't restrict you from doing a low and slow anytime. I recently purchased a grill outta Dallas and it was conveyed to me that at his particular store there was a back order of 5 months on all KKJoes. Must have been a Covid related issue or export,,,,,,,,,,whatever the case, you have something much better.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Obsession! Excellent decision! You won't regret it. 

A good first cook is usually either a pork butt or a whole chicken (spatchcocked). Almost impossible to mess up while you are learning temperature control with the KK. Both cooks are well under the temperature limit for the burn-in, so no worries there. 

Noticed that you live on a golf course. So, don't be surprised if a stray ball lands near your fence when cooking, as you will likely attract attention with the KK! 

• Like 1

Thanks ALL for the kind words.. going to cure the KK during work breaks today and noticed temp gauge was not as accurate as I would like (roiling boil for a few minutes).    Started with full basket of KJ Big Chunk and will go through some heat set points hopefully all the way to 525 and hold for a few hours.  QQ - this KK rolls real easy and will need to put some type of a wheel stop so it won't roll of the limestone.. any suggestions?

IMG_3916.thumb.jpg.a677a74028c7d6bfaf2fe05ead8eaf6b.jpgTemp.thumb.jpg.11e815617722f925e12e1ba755e917e1.jpg

• Like 1

Dennis posted that he was having trouble getting the normal Tel-Tru thermometers, so was having to make substitutions. He said that owners would get a Tel-Tru when he finally gets more. So, contact him directly and make a request for the upgrade. 

• Like 1

I purchased a non-KK branded Tel-Tru from their website in anticipation of my 23” delivery.  I bought the same model that Dennis supplies, but without the KK branding.  It was ~$23-24 with shipping included.  This way, I’m patient as Dennis works through some understandable supply issues (his branded KK thermometers are specially made), and I have the accuracy I want.  I’ll shelve this one once Dennis ships the replacements.  I Figured having another one around can’t hurt anything... 😊

• Like 5