BARDSLJR

Pulled Pork for tonight

And here's the final, which I have to say was pretty damn good, thought maybe not competition-worthy. The pork shoulder came out nicely done, tender, well smoked, good bark. There was one thing, though....I had forgotten that I mixed some left over Dizzy Pig "Swamp Venom"....quite hot- with what I thought was the "Red Eye Express" a nice savory barbecue rub with espresso to give it some extra umami. So....thing is, the rub on the two shoulders was a hot rub. So the bark was a bit more hot than salty-smoky-savory that I was going for. A little unusual for pulled pork. But the family loved it, and my 10-year-old grandchild, Lucia, who is about "this" (holds thumb and forefinger together) big around, ate a second sandwich. A good night was had by all.

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, BARDSLJR said:

Ha, because of you, Hokie Ben, I picked up some country style ribs at the grocery just now. Can't wait to smoke them maybe mid-week. Care to share your temp/time/ details on those beautiful country ribs?

Great looking pulled pork! Bet that was tasty. The country style ribs turned out very well also, pretty straight forward cook. 225 on top grate indirect for 3-4 hours smoking with your favorite wood, I used hickory this time around. I seasoned with a couple different rubs for the smoke process. After about 4 hours I pulled them off, painted with some Lillie's Smokey Sauce and then wrapped in foil and placed back in KK for another hour and half or so, still at 225 temp. That's pretty much it, they turn out fantastic everytime. Looking forward to hearing how yours turn out! 

20 hours ago, BARDSLJR said:

????

Red Eye would normally be a beef rub, because of the coffee component. Aussie is well known for mixing up rubs and proteins in strange combinations. Totally OTB!

Yeah, Swamp Venom will "get your attention" if liberally applied. 

Glad that the mash-up rub came out well and the family dug it. 

Gotcha. I have used Red Eye Express with success on ribs and shoulder/butt. Te gustibus. Would still love tips or recipe for doing country-style ribs if anyone cares to share. In the meantime, we have another shoulder to use up this week and will be making smoked pork enchiladas (red chile sauce) , chef's salad with pork, etc......

Thanks much Hokie Ben- sorry I missed this on the first pass and am just catching up. This helps a lot. The challenge will be keeping the KK down around 225, which mine seems incapable of. I started out yesterday in the low 200s and finished still at 300 (not bad, since I had wrapped the shoulders and they were not going to dry out) and , GET THIS- last night I completely shut down the 32" KK about 9PM: it was still smoking and at about 300*F, but I thought I would save the fuel for a future cook. Well, this morning I got in from tennis about 10:30 AM and the darn KK is still registering 225! BTW, I started this fire around 9:30AM yesterday....

• Sad 1