BARDSLJR

Recipes for Country Style Pork Ribs?

I got a nice pack of country style pork ribs in the grocery yesterday- will be cooking sometime mid week. It's been a long time and I don't think I did anything very fancy with them last time. Anyone care to share recipes and techniques with this wandering pork pilgrim?

jim

Burnt pork ends from country style ribs. It's the only way I'll do CSR's these days. I'm sure I have one or two fairly recent posts about this. 

Basically rub and cook the CSR's at 250* until a IT of about 150*. Pull from KK then cut them into 1"-1 1/2" square chunks. Put them a pan with some extra rub, BBQ sauce and a few pats of butter. Back in the KK at 350*-400* stirring once or twice until a nice Crispy coating. 

Perfect bite size morsels. The best country style ribs you've ever ate. 

• Like 3

Oh, the burnt ends technique sounds wonderful. I wish I'd read this before I cooked last night.  So last night I did six racks of babybacks and cooked about 8 CS style ribs along with them, using the 2/1/1 method. So the CS ribs were cooked the same as the babybacks. They came out a little dry, but the flavor was good. I think I am going to use the leftovers to season a pot of black beans (with garlic, cumin, and lime.)

• Like 2

This is my go to Rib rub from my friend and pit master Chris Lilly..

• 10 tablespoons dark brown sugar

• 3 tablespoons paprika

• 1 tablespoon black pepper

• 1 tablespoon garlic salt

• 2 tablespoons kosher salt   ( I leave out the salt and salt the ribs under the mustard, this way I can't over salt by piling on the rub)

• 1 teaspoon chili powder  ( I add 2-3 heaping tablespoons)

• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper  ( I add 2 heaping teaspoons)

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin  (toasted before grinding)

• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano  (I rub both the oregano and sage to get more flavor)

• 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage

• 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

• 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper

My Twist I use French's mustard liberally as rub glue and to make a chewy bark..

Mix the vinegar with 1 cup of water in a shallow baking pan. Remove the ribs from the grill and dip them into the vinegar water. Remove the ribs from the wash and place them on a cutting board. Season the ribs immediately with a heavy coat of the reserved dry rub. 

• Like 3

Very cool rub. I know it is not unusual to use mustard as a slather- Franklin uses it on his brisket, although very sparingly, just to help the salt/pepper adhere to the meat. In the case of the country-style ribs, I know one of my challenges is keeping pork from drying out at the same time we're trying cook it through and flavor it. A liberal slather and rub coating would probably help to let it cook moistly.

• Like 1

Very cool rub. I know it is not unusual to use mustard as a slather- Franklin uses it on his brisket, although very sparingly, just to help the salt/pepper adhere to the meat. In the case of the country-style ribs, I know one of my challenges is keeping pork from drying out at the same time we're trying cook it through and flavor it. A liberal slather and rub coating would probably help to let it cook moistly.
I've used plum sauce as a binder ,alot of things work and impart a flavour .no worries about your ribs drying out on a KK

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Well, Ora, (or is it "Aussie"?), I actually DID manage to somewhat dry them out, even in the 32" KK, even with disposable water pans filled in the KK. I think I probably should have done them just like the 2/1/1 recipe I use for babyback ribs- although country-style ribs have a big bit of fat on them, the meaty portion is very lean and prone to drying out. It's a challenge to cook them to the proper temperature for tenderness (195-205) and at the same time not dry them out- especially here in Denver, where we have desert-levels of humidity, often down to 10% or so. So I think next time I will be slathering, mopping, and spritzing a lot more, and using a foil wrap with some moisture in it for at least an hour of the cook.