BARDSLJR

Brisket cook overnight

So, the big challenge with brisket is always the timing. Think about it- your standard brisket, depending on the size, is going to take 10 to 14 hours to cook properly. AND you're supposed to then put it, wrapped, in an Igloo cooler to rest for about 4 hours before serving. So, working backwards from 7PM....place in Igloo cooler at 3PM? About 12 hours (split the difference) before that is 3AM.

Naw, I am not getting up at 3AM to start my brisket. I stayed up as late as I felt I could, 12AM, had the KK all stablized at about 250. I had previously trimmed (photo 1), rubbed with salt and pepper (2). This prime brisket started out at 16.7 pounds and I probably trimmed more than 2 pounds of fat off of it. So I estimated a 12-13 cook time, planning on boosting the temp to 300* when I got to the wrap stage. I got up and checked the brisket about 7 AM and it was at about 150-160 degrees (point and flat cooking at different rates) and the bark was forming nicely. I went back to catch a little more sleep.....Photo 3 is the brisket at about 9:30, bark formed nicely, time to wrap (photo 5) at a perfect 300* (photo 4). I went out for my morning walk (wilting in the Denver heat, it is going to be 97* today (36 for you centigrade types) and checked back in on my brisket: 196 and 205- just about perfect.

But dinner is till projected for 7/7:30 or so.....brisket will be perfect serving temperature around 4PM...hmmmm. Can't put it in the oven to rewarm, it will dry out....So here's my solution: later this afternoon, when it has cooled to room temperature, I am going to vacuum-pack it and stick it in a sous vides bath set to 140, which should get it back to nearly optimal serving temperature without drying it out or affecting the tenderness of the meat. Stay tuned on that one, folks, I will report back later.

Note to self: next time, cut wrapping paper about 6" longer to ensure a tighter fit. Not 100% happy with my wrap.

IMG_1797[1].jpg

IMG_1798[1].jpg

IMG_1800[1].jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

• Like 6

Nicely done. Well, at least you took the rubber do-hickies off the temperature probes! 

Yeah, timing on brisket is always problematic. If you start too early in the evening, it reaches the time to wrap in the middle of the night. If you stay up late to start it, you get to the wrap at a good time in the morning, but you finish too early (as in your case.) If you start it first thing in the morning, it's not ready by dinner time. No win situation. 

I'm eager to hear how the sous vide solution works out. My only concern might be it could affect the texture (mushy) if it sits in the bath too long before serving? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BARDSLJR said:

It will be vacuum packed before it goes into the bath, so it shouldn't be.

Understand SV technique. What I was saying was some proteins can start to breakdown in texture if left if the bath too long. Since this brisket is already cooked, the amount of time before the breakdown begins will be shorter than what's published in the guidelines. 

• Like 1

Oh. completely agree. I did not know what the effect of keeping the meat heated, even in a vacuum pack, might be for an additional two hours or so. Happily, it did not seem to do anything much, as far as I could tell, except maintain the temperature. The bark was nicely intact. The flat was a little dryer than I would have preferred, but pretty tender (it could have been better); the point was nicely cooked through and moist. Flavor overall was quite good, just the right combination of pepper, salt, and smoke. My guests were giving it a "10"- on a Franklin scale (brisket I have had at Franklin's and LA Barbecue, the best I've ever had)- I'd give it an 8.5. I'd rather serve it right off the smoker after a proper rest than warming it like this, but the sous vide proved an effective method for solving the problem I had.

IMG_1806.JPG

• Like 3

I ditto 5698 sentiments, the cooler is king. You can ball park a brisket for time unfortunately at times they pop out sooner or take a little longer. Obviously that is why you leave the buffer time for the cooler, a little extra ...."don't worry about it". Nice brisket Bardsljr

• Like 1

Honestly I’ve consistently had issues with having briskets done on time. I watched a YouTube video put on by the Meatchurch folks called weekday brisket. The basic idea is to start the brisket the night before and let it run at 190F overnight and then turn up the temperature to your 225-250 in the morning and let it finish. I’m a big fan of SV but prefer the FTC technique. Also, I find that my KK retains heat for hours after my cook so if your concerned with the brisket cooling down to much in the FTC I just put it back in the KK for an hour or two to have it at a serving temperature. I just did this technique on a 8lb shoulder and was very happy with the results. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the cold smoker going all night! Mine never stays lit and I’m using quality pellets etc etc.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the cold smoker going all night! Mine never stays lit and I’m using quality pellets etc etc.

Hi Paul.  I tend to use my smoke pot for long low and slow cooks.  I wonder if the fact that the top hat is only open a very small amount for really low temp cooks makes it difficult to keep the hot/cold smoker going.  Do you close off the bottom vent when you are using the hot/cold smoker?  If you do it might mean that the air flow has to come through the smoker, making it more likely to keep it alight.  Completely amateur diagnostics on my part but worth a try.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, PVPAUL said:

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the cold smoker going all night! Mine never stays lit and I’m using quality pellets etc etc.

Cheers!

Try putting the pellets, chips or chunks in a bowl and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until when you blow on it you don't feel steam.. Removing the +- 10% moisture helps the wood smolder.. Also use the lowest airflow setting on the pump that keeps it burning, this increases how long it burns significantly. A low setting fills the grill with lots of smoke in just a few minutes and the lower the burn temp in the smoker the cleaner the smoke.  I always put my meat in cold this crates more condensation of the smoke vapor on it. I'm guessing you should not need to run it all night to get a good solid flavor profile,

• Like 1

Dennis, thanks for the microwave tip. I will definitely try this out. I’m also already setting the pump at the lowest setting (another tip from you). I also understand not needing smoke all night long, however I find that I’m throwing away most of the pellets after a cook. I also plan to take smoker apart just to be sure my screen is clean etc.

All the best,

Paul