BARDSLJR

brisket cooking question

As experience goes the flat is the first to cross the finish line. Depending on the the R/H outside it's one thing to consider, cooking in a desert and cooking in a tropical rain forest will give you different results. Coal having very little H2O content vs wood offers little contribution in the pit for added moisture while cooking. The KK is a unique tool for holding and recirculating the moisture. I remember you mentioned a few hot days with low humidity and a long cook, a spray or a added can of water in the pit on these days could help.  If the flat is done and the point has some distance to go...I'd remove the piece and separate the two, cook the point further and wrap the flat and put her to bed. You could inject the flat also beforehand to balance the two in hopes of a common outcome or if you live close by John Elway's house you could stop by, cause he likes brisket too. You could try a prime, they have more fat content and retain in the flat moisture better. The brisket is a finicky beast, some continue to chase it while others catch the beast on there first cast.  Wish u the best

• Like 1

That is very helpful, thanks. Yes, I was using prime brisket. I also have a tray of water in the smoker right over the heat source, both to keep the humidity up and to act as a shield between the fire and the cooking area.  Perhaps a spritz or two during the cook before I wrap it might be in order, too. I use lump hardwood charcoal for my heat source and 3x3" wood chunks for the smoke. This last one was hickory and cherry. I prefer oak for brisket, fruitwoods for any pork.

• Like 2