BARDSLJR

Uses for leftover brisket....

Well, I have quite a lot of very brisket even after feeding 11 people with the 16-pound brisket last night: other than the obvious ( I am enjoying a very good sandwich with reheated brisket and barbecue sauce right now), choices like tacos, enchiladas and fajitas, what are your suggestions for using this pretty excellent leftover beef?

Basher, chili would be a great idea, but it is summer up here, and temps running in mid-90s (30's C) in the daytime- I understand it is quite pleasant down in Brisbane right now. This chili recipe is interesting- as a former competitive chili cook, I always like to see how many different variations there are. I am a bit surprised that there are only 2 TBS of chili in a recipe that starts with 5 lbs of meat, and also only 1/2 cup of liquid (coffee). Most of the time I would use a lot more chili and probably more liquid. I would also hold back on the cumin until the last ten minutes or so of the cook- put it in too early and it tends to go bitter.

• Like 1

Interesting bards.

I tend to ignore recipe quantities of chilli given the variations of heat and just run the taste test.

With cumin( my favourite with most cooks) I’ve found a huge difference in dry frying the cumin in a fry pan first until it just starts to smoke. Then grind it.

The aroma and flavour pop off the food. It’s as big a difference as a KK oven to an indoor electric oven.

All my cumin is now dry fried in batches and then added to rubs..... even sprinkled over eggs.

There are many other spices this works well with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasting your cumin seeds, and then crushing them or grinding them, is a very standard Indian cooking technique (actually, they toast and grind most of their spices, it seems, fresh.) I will have to try that maybe next time around- I love cumin in chili or in black beans (with garlic and lime). Parenthetically, I have found that cumin, garlic, and lemon all do not tolerate long cooks well, tend to bitter, and should be added close to the end.

Most commercial chili powders will be savory, not hot, especially the commercially available chili spice blends that already have garlic, cumin, onion powder, etc. (Gephardt's, McCormick's, etc.) I get my chili powder as pure ground roast chili's of various types,(Fort Worth Light is a favorite) almost all from Pendery's, in Fort Worth, which was a spice company started by the eastern "dude" who is credited with creating the first versions of Texas chili to be consumed on the cattle drives. The company logo is a top hat with a bullet hole in it, because, as legend has it, when Mr. Pendery arrived in Fort Worth from Boston to make his fortune, he strolled down main street and someone shot his beaver hat off his head.

Good tips, all. Thanks, mate!

• Like 1

Another great spice store is World Spice Seattle.. I buy most whole, store in a FoodSaver Vacuum Zipper Bags then suck the air out with the small pump.  Keeps spices fresh for much longer.  The bags have a valve in them and can be reused.
They also grind as it goes out if you are Stateside.

https://www.worldspice.com

Amazon: FoodSaver 1-Quart BPA-Free Multilayer Construction Vacuum Zipper Bags

• Like 2

Excellent suggestion. Freshness is all about where it's at. Also, if you have a foodsaver, you can (1) buy your own meat in large cuts and trim it down to serving size, and freeze individual servings: then you can take them out later, put them in a bowl of water, and unpack them and you have a perfectly fresh cut of meat, ready to cut. It works quite well. You can also use the FoodSaver- vacuum packed portions to cook in a sous vide bath, if you so choose.  (I haven't tried this with steak yet, but will soon.) (They also have great coffee sources in Seattle, and they all ship.....)

Lastly, thank you Dennis. These KK smokers are incredibly well built, and worth, IMHOP, every penny. Good job!

I did 4 prime filets in the sous vide last weekend. When I put them up in the freezer, I put butter and some seasoning in the food saver bags. Then, I just took them out of the freezer the day of, put them straight into the water bath for 3 hours and finished them on the lower grate. My guests raved about them.

I wish that I'd have done this before, but I usually like to be more spontaneous with my preps. I have an idea that I want to try - take out the protein from the freezer and cut just the corner off the food saver bag, melt some butter (or use EVOO, depending on the prep) add seasoning, then inject it into the bag. Put it in the fridge to solidify. Then re-vacuum the bag and into the water bath.

• Like 2