BARDSLJR

Non-standard woods for smoking

Peeps....I got an excessive bounty of new woods for smoking this week. I have an excessive bounty of new woods, in part because when I made the order to Fruita and another N. Carolina source, I never received a confirmation....so, thinking maybe I had not hit the "purchase" button  the night before, I made a double order to Fruita. Oh well....it takes up space, but it is not like it is going to go bad. I have a bunch of the usual suspects- post oak, apple, cherry, pecan (LOVE pecan); also have some, for me, unusual choices: plum, apricot, orange. Does anyone have any experience with the latter three? I don't really know what to expect of them. Thanks, dudes and dudettes.....

• Like 1

Sorry, upside down.

0fe90bbf2a70ac362c8bf0bccb107feb.jpg

The darker background colours behind the wood name indicate strength of smoke flavour.

The X indicate foods they are regarded to go well with.

I whole heartedly agree with tony. The fun is trying different wood for different flavours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All these three woods are perfect ,plum is great on red meat it has a deeper character. But also very universal. Apricots and orange .just throw them in the apple basket .low mellow smoke . Just muckaround and try them out .if you only had orange wood but was cooking a tri tip .it will do the job

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks, this is very helpful. I've used orange and peach before- as you said, a lighter smoke, similar to apple or alder. I did not know what to expect of the plum- may have to try that next. Apple and pecan are generally my go-to choices for most of my smoking, since most of the meats I smoke are various pork cuts. I do find that for brisket and beef ribs, post oak seems to be the best match.  Hickory is pretty versatile, too.